Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

cranks but wont fire again Grrr

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2024, 03:12 PM
Beginning Member
Hungrywolf52 is on a distinguished road
Default cranks but wont fire again Grrr

Ok so...2003 S10 Blazer 4x4 2 door 4.3 vortec. Great shape solid frame. Problem started this past January. Drove fine started fine. Next morning get in wont start?? cranks fine but no fire. Had it towed,. turned out it needed a new coil, new cap and rotor, and the ignition module in the steering column. $800 later ( yeah Canada!! gotta love it!) its running great, up until this morning! get in turn it over...same damn thing cranks but no fire!! Just like before it would sometimes cough once ,i thinks its gonna catch but it doesn't, Pump is running i can smell raw gas on the dipstick so its getting fuel. Could it be a bad module in the steering column? I've read where they can be a problem even new (guessing Made in China!). Had it towed back tho the garage. Was told it might be a flywheel missing teeth?? they said they had an Hyundai Elantra that was having the same problem, they'd changed the fuel pump, ignition module, and coil etc etc and it turned out being the flywheel. Cant see it, since its been starting fine since the repair in January, barely cranks over and it starts up! turns over fine nothing to indicate a flywheel problem,like metallic noise or grinding sounds etc. Any ideas?

Old 04-04-2024, 06:52 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Check the fuel pressure. There's a sticky on how to do on here, I believe. Also, when is the last time the fuel filter was changed?

Old 04-09-2024, 03:46 AM
Beginning Member
Hungrywolf52 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Hungrywolf52
Ok so...2003 S10 Blazer 4x4 2 door 4.3 vortec. Great shape solid frame. Problem started this past January. Drove fine started fine. Next morning get in wont start?? cranks fine but no fire. Had it towed,. turned out it needed a new coil, new cap and rotor, and the ignition module in the steering column. $800 later ( yeah Canada!! gotta love it!) its running great, up until this morning! get in turn it over...same damn thing cranks but no fire!! Just like before it would sometimes cough once ,i thinks its gonna catch but it doesn't, Pump is running i can smell raw gas on the dipstick so its getting fuel. Could it be a bad module in the steering column? I've read where they can be a problem even new (guessing Made in China!). Had it towed back tho the garage. Was told it might be a flywheel missing teeth?? they said they had an Hyundai Elantra that was having the same problem, they'd changed the fuel pump, ignition module, and coil etc etc and it turned out being the flywheel. Cant see it, since its been starting fine since the repair in January, barely cranks over and it starts up! turns over fine nothing to indicate a flywheel problem,like metallic noise or grinding sounds etc. Any ideas?
So garage said it started fine. No codes showing. Its starting find again. Doing Some looking of my own, discovered a ground strap disconnected coming from above the fuel tank, guessing its a ground for the sender. Extended it and grounded it to the chassis, let's hope that was the problem.