Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

damn thing wont start

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 02:58 PM
nslide10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default damn thing wont start

ok now im the 1 who put new engine in 2 weeks ago and after timing was adjusted it started first time key was turned and it was doin that just fine for the first week and now for past lets say 5 days its been gettin a little harder to start its been makin me crank it a little longer before itll fire and now it wont start at all. i can hear the fuel pump comin on it has new distributor cap and rotor new wires and plugs and new fuel filter all put on with new engine. we sprayed starting fluid in the throttle body and it started and ran as long as there was starting fluid in there but i didnt want to blow it up so we only sparyed it for a few seconds. i even changed the coil thinkin it wasnt gettin spark or sufficient spark but that wasnt it either. i know it has fuel to the intake but im not sure from there and im really gettin pissed so any ideas would really help. its a 96 s10 4.3 v6 with the "w" type engine and im not sure if it could have something to do with the spider lookin thing under the plastic intake so please some1 give me an idea of what could be wrong here. thank you very much

Old 11-14-2005, 03:00 PM
Default RE: damn thing wont start

oh yeah and i forgot its not givin me any codes tellin me anything is wrong thats why im stumped i have the scanner and plugged it in even with the engine runnin with the ether it didnt register any code except the maf sensor but that was because the air intake was off so i know thats why that code was there but no clue on anything else. please help

Old 11-14-2005, 05:20 PM

ok now i dont know whats goin on my step dad brought me some dry gas stuff an some injector cleaner and i put in the dry gas and then pushed the pressure check valve on the fuel line up by the intake and it didnt start so i pu t a lil ether in there so my step dad could hear it and it fired right up and still runnin been bout 15minutes no clue whats goin on with it . id still like to hear any ideas or advice if u have any. step dad says it could jus be ****ty gas from where i been gettin it or from sittin so long. who knows

Old 11-14-2005, 06:33 PM
drkmelvin is an unknown quantity at this point

That is possible... we had some no name gas stations that were selling cut gas, and my truck wouldn't run on it. Always get gas from at least a somewhat respectable gas station

Old 11-14-2005, 11:58 PM

more trouble now after i got it started the first time i was affraid to shut it off so it ran for 3hours an then i had to shut it off and it wouldnt start back up so i did the same thing checked pressure valve and then used a touch of starting fluid and again it fired right up. so then 2 hours after that still runnin i get up to about 55-60 and it dies in middle of road so again i check pressure an try to start an nothin so i top it off with ether and it fires up. i know i cant keep doin this i dont like doin it now im affraid im gonna blow throtle body up does any1 have an idea as to what is wrong with my truck it still isnt givin me any codes except the transmission slip p1870 and now i can feel it between 1st and 2nd it jerks hard. so what am i gonna do please help me some1

Old 11-15-2005, 09:43 AM
00ZR2BLZRGUY is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey,

Well I think you somewhat stumbled on 2 the main cause of your problem.. Your problem with the engine is that it is not reciving any fuel when it cuts out, Thats why it will start when you spray down the TB. To test this theroy you can depress the fuel rail test valve only on a cold engine."Its like a tire valve", have a rag ready and "wear some eye protection" because it will spray fuel if the line is charged, If you have no fuel spray, then you have no fuel pressure. Im guessing you have a fuel pump thats on its way out, a bad one can work when it wants to, usually working fine for a few minutes then gradually getting worse psi until cuttout. Try doublechecking all your fuses inside and under the hood, maybe even a wiggle test of the connection leading 2 the fuel pump. It could even be possable that when the motor was replaced a few wires could have been damaged. I think you said you installed a new fuel filter,check it to see if the directional arrow is pointing at the engine. As far as the tranny goes I cant help ya there, I just shelled out 2 grand on my 00 blazers tranny rebuild. Gl and hope this helps.[sm=signs003.gif]

Old 11-15-2005, 01:46 PM

well the trany was rebuilt jus prior to the new engine install so im just gonna take it back and have it fixed cuz its still under warranty. and with the fuel prob i checked the filter its good right direction an all but i dont understand why it wont give me a code if the pumps goin bad because this truck has codes for everything including pump and pressure. the first time i checked the valve id dribbled out the 2nd time it sprayed and then again it just dribbled out so i figured there might be a problem with the pump but i dont know which wires control the pump from the front of the truck so i dont know which ones to test or wiggle and another thing is i can hear the pump come on everytime i turn the key i specifcly listened for that when i first had the trouble that was my first theory of the problem. so now im thinkin it could be getting clogged enough to where it wont push the right amount of fuel or it could be going bad. well see and im sure im not done with this problem yet so ill prolly be back for more questions...... i hope some smart *** didnt put a ping pong ball in my tank?

Old 11-15-2005, 06:34 PM

now im startin to get upset i took the truck to the tranny shop to have them fix what they messed up. so they hook up their $4000 snap on computer and its tellin them the o2 sensor has a problem and thats it no stored sodes or anything like that but it does have alot of stuff like voltage to sensors an alot of good diagnostic crap and i told the guy well its wrong cuz i checked it with my $100 acutron scanner and the only code its givin me is the p1870 that its been givin me so he was stumped as to why me cheap 1 reads what his expensive one cant. so he trys to erase it and the truck has to be off but the ignition on and when i went to start it to go to the shop it started 1st turn of the key but when he did that he had to try 4 times before it would start and then agin he shut it off and it took another 3 times before it would start so now im stumped as to whats causing my truck not to start because again his $4000 computer didnt say nothin about why it wouldnt start jus like my computer wouldnt.WHAT IS WRONG????????? why no codes for fuel problems or anything like that ?????????

Old 11-15-2005, 07:59 PM
00ZR2BLZRGUY is an unknown quantity at this point

hmmm,

Well Im still convinced that the problem with not starting is fuel related, Im thinking that your new fuel filter could have an intermintant blockage? Just because you buy a new part does not mean that it is perfect, many new parts are defective right out of the box. You said that you tried the poor mans fuel pressure test and a few times it only dribbled out and didnt spray, Thats not good since it should always be spraying showing that your fuel system is charged. For the wiggle test Id suggest finding your fuel pump plug in on the gas tank and make sure its not corroded in any way. Something has got to be causing that fuel to not reach your engine the way it should. I wish I could help you more but without being there to tinker around with it I can only make educated guesses. Im glad 2 hear that your tranny is covered on the warrenty, with hard shifting they need 2 fix that, Id also crawl under your rig and take a look at all the sensor connections, linkages, and plug ins that they may have touched. When I brought my 2000 home I found the block heater unplugged and a wiring harness not properly fastened. Also.. are the bulbs working for the warning lights? Well try this stuff and be real observant of anything that looks out of place. Good luck man.

Old 11-16-2005, 11:23 PM

well trannys good now they said they redid the valve packs and it feels alot better no slippin and smooth shiftin into all the gears. and as soon as i got there it started first try and i stopped about 10 times and it started right up everytime so i dont know now. maybe they did somethin to it case it wasnt startin for them i dont know but im sure ill let u know if it keeps happenin

Quick Reply: damn thing wont start