Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

damn thing wont start

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 07:05 PM
nslide10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: damn thing wont start

now im really gettin pissed. i went out this mornin and started it first time i went and picked up my babymomma and my new baby and took em to store and home and it started fine each time i prolly shut it of 5 or 6 times and it restarted no problem then i came home to get my son outta school and i try to start it and it wont start again . i layed underneath to listen for fuel pump and heard it but it kinda sounded like it was blowin bubbles in the tank and when i checked pressure valve it sprayed out but had a couple air pockets in the line so now im wonderin again what it could be. again any ideas would be helpful. thank you

Old 11-18-2005, 03:31 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

The more I read about your trouble the more I agree it is fuel related. Specifically its your fuel pump or Fuel Pressure Regulator . Let me explain why. Once your truck is running you need about 3-10psi less pressure then at start up. Your truck isn't starting on its own becuase the fuel pump cannot generate enough pressure, or the regulaotr cannot hold that much pressure. Once you get it going with the either, it runs becuase your fuel pump and regulator can maintain that pressure.

There won't be any codes for this. There is nothing to record, there is no fuel pressure gauge on our trucks. Fuel pressure is not monitored. No way for the pcm to store a code it doesn't monitor.

There is the possibility it is your fuel pressure regulator. The regulator is located in that spider looking thing on top of the engine. Yea, the intake manifold. When you take the top half of the intake off notice how dirty it is under there. If the area around the fuel pressure regulator is clean, it needs to be replaced. It is leaking fuel, the fuel is cleaning the carbon. Check all the fuel lines as well for leaks. Replace anything you suspect is leaking.

Get a Haynes manual, it has the fuel pressure needed at start up. I am at work right now orI would look it up for you. Find someone with a fuel pressure gauge and put in it on the schradder valve. What kind of pressure are you getting? If it mets spec, then I would guess your problem lies int eh fuel pressure regulator. If it doesn't met spec, time to drop the gas tank. Post up what you find out.

Old 11-18-2005, 07:09 PM
stmanser is an unknown quantity at this point

i have been having the same problems with starting and not startiong

i have replced the fuel pump in mine 3 times in the last 4 weeks.. and the last one i put in was a Bosch fuel pump.. and it too is bad.. wnet bad in tuesday.. so i am dropping the tank tonight.......... AGAIN........this time i am buying the Ac Delco pump... i want a walbro 307.. but i cant find one cheap enough and cant get it tonight...

wha ti have to say is this

the fuel pump has to be at 54-64 PSI.. anythting below that and it probably wont start... if it is sucking air.. it means the pump is cavitating.. either from a hole in the feed line in the tank, or a bad fuel pump... air in the fuel line is bad.. cars run off gas.. not air...

i am willing to bet that your fuel pump is either not getting the correct signal from the fuel injectors, or the pump is going bad. i think the fuel pump going bad is the culprit..and you can check this by hooking up a fuel pressure gauge to the "shrader" valve on the back of the intake and see what you are reading...

when you turn the key on the following should happen

1. pump comes on and goes to 54-64 psi
2. you will hear a click from the fuel pump relay and the pump will shut off
3. and the pressure should stay up there.. might bleed off a bit.. but it should stay
4. when the pressure has stabilized, depress the by pass button, (Bleeder) and allow fuel to come out the small hose
5. if pressure drops off, turn the key back on and keep the bleeder button depressed
6. put the end in a bucket and see the fuel come out.. make sure it isnt dirty nasty fuel
7. make sure no air is blowing out of the bypass hose.
8. try starting the truck and then press the bypass button with truck running
9. do the same steps with the bleeder and all that..

what these will all do for you is see if the pump is performing correctly. if you get air or no or little pressure... suspect the bad fuel pump . or bad fuel pressure regulator...

hope this helps.. i have been going through all this for the past month, i am so tired of it.. im ready to blow the truck up.. |

Old 11-19-2005, 04:40 AM

yeah i did everything i could but as soon as i went too start it this mornin first try it fired so i took it to my step dads an he was bou to come to my house and drain gas but soon as i got there i left truck runi an we were gonna go in house and it staled so u took fuel line3s off filter hooked up a rubber hosu to pump line and turned the key an nothin came out so i knew then. i didnt hear the pump come on either. so now after it took us 3 hours to get tank down cuz all the crap holdin it up is there any easy way to put it back up simple and fast an streess free. when we took it down there was a hose bout 4 in long and had them sprink clips u neeed channel locks to get em off. well we couldnt reach it with pliers so i got the little outlet tube broke off while dropping tank. it was just the evap hose but any way i got the new pump an put it in tanks on floor in garage just gotta put tank back up an strap it down and well see if it starts right

Old 11-21-2005, 12:13 PM
Smokeybear is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: nslide10

yeah i did everything i could but as soon as i went too start it this mornin first try it fired so i took it to my step dads an he was bou to come to my house and drain gas but soon as i got there i left truck runi an we were gonna go in house and it staled so u took fuel line3s off filter hooked up a rubber hosu to pump line and turned the key an nothin came out so i knew then. i didnt hear the pump come on either. so now after it took us 3 hours to get tank down cuz all the crap holdin it up is there any easy way to put it back up simple and fast an streess free. when we took it down there was a hose bout 4 in long and had them sprink clips u neeed channel locks to get em off. well we couldnt reach it with pliers so i got the little outlet tube broke off while dropping tank. it was just the evap hose but any way i got the new pump an put it in tanks on floor in garage just gotta put tank back up an strap it down and well see if it starts right
Reading your posts make my eyeballs itch.[X(]

Old 11-22-2005, 05:22 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

'96- where is the gas tank mounted?
The best way to get the tank in is to jack it up high enough to attach the hoses, then jack it in place.
Me, I just lay on the ground, tilt the tank at an angle, attach my hoses, then lift in place with one hand, then use my kness to hold it in place will I attach the straps with my hands.

Old 11-24-2005, 02:52 PM

my posts make my eyeballs itch and water. but anyway i got it back up it wasnt half as hard to put it back in i guess jus cuz it was the first time it ever had been taken down but it only took bout 20minutes to put back in i had to put a longer hose on the evap valve jus to make it a lil easier. and the dealer wanted $36 for 4 inches of 2 inch neoprene they r nuts i found a foot for $15 an prolly coulda got it free if i had the time to wait for a friend to get it from the machine shop i used to work in i know they got miles of the ****. but anyway i got it and done it i think its a cheap master pump or somethin like that it was still $175 but its got l;ifetime waranty and i hope i dont have to use the waranty anytime soon. thanks for your help people any more problems ill be back