Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

dangers of seafoam?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 10:00 PM
Starting Member
musclecar70sfan is on a distinguished road
Exclamation dangers of seafoam?!

Hey guys, well I've been planning on seafoaming my 94 Jimmy tomorrow but my dad insists that I don't do it. I've researched it a lot and don't seem to have any problems with it but he thinks I'm gonna blow up my engine. And I read a youtube comment on a seafoaming vid somewhere that said that you might hydrolock your engine(and bend connecting rods) if you dump the stuff in through the brake booster line. However that's the only "risk" I heard about seafoam. Is this true?

Old 12-18-2009, 10:30 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Speaking from only my experience, no, you will not damage the engine. I've done it more than a few times on a few different vehicles with absolutely no adverse affects, let alone blowing up an engine.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:33 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by AJBert
Speaking from only my experience, no, you will not damage the engine. I've done it more than a few times on a few different vehicles with absolutely no adverse affects, let alone blowing up an engine.
Thanks! My dad thinks I'm 4 years old or something when it comes to car stuff . Anybody else got any responses?

Old 12-18-2009, 11:25 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

Same as AJ, speaking only from my experience, I did it to my blazer and the Wife's Explorer. Didn't bother with booster lines or dumping it in the tank: i went straight through the throttle body. Other than running the risk of fouling your plugs (possibly) and needing to get an oil change after seafoaming, you should have no problems.

There are also a number of how-tos on here if you search for them

Old 12-21-2009, 03:45 PM
88s10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm with these guys. I have used it in a lot of vehicles with no negative effects, through the brake booster line and down the throttle body. I don't bother with the gas tank or the oil, I use Lucas for that stuff.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:59 PM
Starting Member

Ok well I seafoamed my S15 about 20 minutes ago and it runs fine. Even better than before actually, better throttle response, feels like its got a little more power, and the idle is a bit smoother (but not perfect, but I think I need new spark plugs anyway). Not so dangerous at all! lol

Old 12-21-2009, 10:48 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

another convert!

Old 12-22-2009, 01:59 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by ABN31B
another convert!
hahahha yep!

Old 01-04-2010, 11:34 PM
jaybird33081 is on a distinguished road

Hey for you guys that have seafoamed, you put it in the tank, oil, and vacum, do you have to do all 3 at the same time, or can I do the oil and gas, then some other time do the vacum, will that effect how well it works?

Old 01-05-2010, 07:21 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by jaybird33081
Hey for you guys that have seafoamed, you put it in the tank, oil, and vacum, do you have to do all 3 at the same time, or can I do the oil and gas, then some other time do the vacum, will that effect how well it works?
I don't see why not. Just make sure you don't put more than 200 miles on the oil with the seafoam mixed in it.

Quick Reply: dangers of seafoam?!