Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Did I ruin my transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 02:33 AM
Beginning Member
Bullfrog2099 is on a distinguished road

Well, after getting new brakes installed, I attempted to "seat" them in by going 30 mph and slowing down without locking the brakes and then accelerating to 30 mph again and slowing down- and about the tenth time doing this, I started accelerating to 30 again and right when I got to 20mph my engine started to rev and my rpm skyrocketed and I couldn't get it past 20mph without the transmission "slipping".

Did I just fubar my transmission ?

Just a couple weeks before this, I noticed that when engaging higher gear speeds 55-70, the engine would rev and the rpm would skyrocket just for a second and then the gear would catch and accelerate. Didn't think much of it at the time. In short, Did I fail to catch the early signs or did I just screw up my transmission by seating the brakes?

Also, does it sound like a minor fix or is it a brand new transmission? Thanks.

Last edited by swartlkk; 07-25-2010 at 08:34 AM. Reason: *Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit feature to add more information to your post if another member has yet to reply.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:36 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have you checked the fluid level? If it's low, it can cause it to slip.

Also, have a read through this and see if anything jumps out at you as describing your situation:
4L60E Information & Common Problems - Compilation

Whether the transmission can be fixed or needs a complete rebuild depends on a lot of things.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:05 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Have you checked the fluid level? If it's low, it can cause it to slip.

Also, have a read through this and see if anything jumps out at you as describing your situation:
4L60E Information & Common Problems - Compilation

Whether the transmission can be fixed or needs a complete rebuild depends on a lot of things.

Ok, thank you for responding. I'll look into that.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:36 AM
Beginning Member

huh, a day later and now all the gears are shifting again. I unhooked the battery to reset the pcm. Don't really feel that I'm outta of the woods yet, but its nice to see that the transmission isn't done in.

Being a newb at troubleshooting vehicles, I do feel blind as a bat. Been looking into getting a obd2 code scanner to help troubleshoot and get to bottom of why somethings not working right. Has anyone had experience with these scanners like the one listed below? Are they worth their weight in gold? More specifically, how is it for scanning transmission problems? ( I know it cant scan all transmission problems). Thanks.

Equus 3150 Innova ABS + Professional CanOBD2 Diagnostic Code Scanner for OBDII Vehicles

Old 07-27-2010, 06:18 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Since you started a new thread on the topic (that has been well covered in other threads), I won't comment on the code reader here.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:44 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Since you started a new thread on the topic (that has been well covered in other threads), I won't comment on the code reader here.
ok, I'll search obd scanner.