Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Did mpfi swap, now i have white smoke

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 06:18 PM
Beginning Member
Jonahdek is on a distinguished road
Default Did mpfi swap, now i have white smoke

Hey guys so i had what a believed to be a leaky injector so i went ahead and swapped it out for some mpfi ones and now my truck has white smoke till it warms up, and a little bit of blueish white smoke after its warm. I also changed my distributor cap and rotor about 900 kms before this, not sure if i needed to do any timing by replacing the cap and rotor, anyways i also have a blinking cel, little bit of lack of power, and rough idle and acceleraton, maybe i broke a spark plug wire? Its a 1997 gmc jimmy btw thanks

Old 03-28-2018, 08:44 PM
chevyriders is on a distinguished road

Blinking cel means you have a catalyst damaging issue. Ie you're dumping raw fuel (or coolant) out the exhaust. Odds are it's fuel in your case.

A couple things you will want to do:
1. Do a fuel pressure leakdown test. It is possible you got a defective mpfi unit, and one of your injectors is stuck open. If you search, captainhook has an awesome how to for the fuel pressure leakdown test.

2. Run a code scan and find out which cylinder(s) has the misfire. From there you can ohm out your spark plug wires and rule that out.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:24 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by chevyriders
Blinking cel means you have a catalyst damaging issue. Ie you're dumping raw fuel (or coolant) out the exhaust. Odds are it's fuel in your case.

A couple things you will want to do:
1. Do a fuel pressure leakdown test. It is possible you got a defective mpfi unit, and one of your injectors is stuck open. If you search, captainhook has an awesome how to for the fuel pressure leakdown test.

2. Run a code scan and find out which cylinder(s) has the misfire. From there you can ohm out your spark plug wires and rule that out.
thanks, yeah so i lit the smoke coming from the exhaust with a blowtorch to do the redneck version of testing for headgasket/coolant, or raw fuel. I got a dandy 8 foot flame across my driveway so its definitally fuel. There is a good chance i broke the spark plug wires as i wasnt very careful with them and bent them all ways. Hoping i didnt just buy a broken mpfi unit as the company i bought it from is notoriously horrible at taking returns.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:03 PM
Beginning Member
Default Pulled a code, i got p0300 misfire code

I got the p0300 misfire code, i dont know if it is from the previous injectors or the new ones, or the wires, could you send the link to the leakdown test? My search function doesnt work properly