Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Did a tune up on my 98 ZR2

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 04:28 PM
jdbell2004 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Did a tune up on my 98 ZR2

Had a shop work on my blazer when it was idling like crap and running really sparaticly. They replaced the spider injectors, o2 sensor on the drivers side before the cat. Then they cleaned the carbon out of the EGR and put a screen in it. They also replaced 3 plugs on the drives side and said that the egr suck open and fried those plugs. After a few weeks, I was having the same problems again. This time I took it upon myself to fix it. Replaced the plugs with platinums, the old ones(non of which were replaced) were black and covered in soot. Removed the drivers side O2 sensor and it was caked in carbon. Only 3 weeks, probably 1800 miles and covered in carbon... Cleaned it and reinstalled it. Next I removed the egr, cleaned it, started the blazer with the egr off and covered my buddy in blackness. Did this a few times until nothing was coming out. Reinstalled the egr with a new gasket with a screen. Started it, CEL was gone and the idle was steady. However when I reved the motor, black smoke came pooring out. So much black somke that there is a black stainabout the side of a basketball onmy buddy's driveway after 3 or 4 good revs. Idle was smoother when sitting at a stop sign but still a little rough. After about 20 minutes of driving the truck seems to be running great, no roughness, from what I could tell, no black smoke. Hope all is well.
Now to the suspension and steering. Thenthe A/C! Then the millions of annoying noises when I go over bumps! Where does it end?

Old 09-26-2007, 05:09 PM
aris_unlimited is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Did a tune up on my 98 ZR2

I hope your problems are over.

I have a question though do you notice any significant loss in oil between oil changes, you could be burning oil pretty bad.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:10 PM

Stopped at advance auto. Had my codes read. DTC Codes - P0131, DTC Codes Pending - P0131, P0171, P1133. The guys there suggested a new MAP sensor. Installed that, cleared the codes and drove away...It was idling well and running well. But there was a chattering noice from directly under the drivers seat. The Advance Auto guys suggested that my torque converter bolts were loose. I'll check them this weekend. Anyway, when I arrived back home after 20 minutes of intown driving I sat and rev'd the motor to about 2K. Heard the chattering right at and below 1K rpm. Then I started hearing a muffled popping sound from under the vehicle just behind the motor, near where the O2 sensors are. After a few moments of this it became louder then stopped and the Service Engine Soon light came on again...WHAT THE**** IS WRONG WITH THIS THING?

Old 09-27-2007, 04:59 AM
aris_unlimited is an unknown quantity at this point

It could be the torque convertor..........

Also have you checked the catalytic convertor it could be beginning to clog.

And not to bash advanced auto or anything but it might be worth it to spend the $40-$50 at a dealership and have them run a diagnostic on it, they are more familiar with our vehicles.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:00 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

WOW!! I really wish you just took the codes and ran from the store! None of those codes point to a faulty MAP sensor...

Here's the run down:
Stored:[/b]
P0131 HO2S Circuit Low Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 1
Pending:
P0131 HO2S Circuit Low Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0171 Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1
P1133 HO2S Insufficient Switching Bank 1 Sensor 1
These codes would lead me to a faulty driver's side O2 sensor or a driver's side exhaust leak before the sensor. What I would try first if you can, swap the B1S1 and B2S1 sensors. B1S1 is located on the exhaust pipe on the driver's side and B2S1 is on the passenger side exhaust manifold directly ahead of the 'Y' in the y-pipe. If the codes then follow over to the B2S1 sensor, then you have a faulty sensor. If they do not, then you have an issue either with an exhaust leak or a fuel delivery problem that is plaguing bank 1 (driver's side).

Old 09-27-2007, 02:35 PM

would a clogged cat cause these symptoms? How would an exhaust leak cause it? Also, I get a strong fuel smell when I idle.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

An exhaust leak would make the O2 sensors read lean (high amounts of O2 in the exhaust). This would intern cause the PCM to adjust the short term fuel trim then the long term fuel trim until they maxed out. But you would need a good diagnostic tool to view these parameters in the PCM. You would also be able to look at the sensor data from either O2 sensor.

Clogged cats typically limit the higher RPM power by choking off the engine.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:35 PM

Here are my most recent codes, as of Friday night. DTC Codes - P0131, P0171, P0300, P1133, DTC Pending Codes - P0131, P0171, P1133. I have not yet switched the O2 sensors. I would like to do that sooner than later as its getting cooler everyday.My symptoms are a rough idle although the tach seems to hold steady for the most part just at 600 rmps. Sometimes it idles so smooth I cant tell its running. Why would it idle very well at times then get rough out of nowhere? Next, when it's rough I can smell fuel, very strongly at times. Also, I only got 200 miles before my LOW FUEL light came on. 90% was in-town driving but still that seems low. Under load on the interstate she down shifts and pulls smoothly. I do at times hear a rattling from under the vehicle that I believe is either the torque converter or the catalytic converter. This usually happens just under 1000 rpms then goes away until the idle drops just below 1000 rpms.Oh and on more thing, from a dead stop, if I give it some gas to get going it vibrates. Is something loose in the rear? Oh and how do I access and tighten the torque converter bolts? Im used to working on fwdHonda cars so this is still new to me.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:56 PM
Administrator

The reason it can run good for a bit, then go back is because the PCM is ignoring the sensor while it is running good and trying to use it when it is running poor.
P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
That is normal for an engine running this bad... You really need to get the O2 sensor swapped ASAP before you end up having to put a set of plugs on the driver's side!

Old 10-01-2007, 09:39 PM

Ok, just swapped the 02 sensors between bank 1 and 2. How long does this computer take to reset? It's been without power for nearly 10 minutes and the SES stays on. I've got it unhooked right now and will leave it for an hour or so for good measure. I'll see if the codes follow the sensor.

When I removed the two sensors, the one that was replaced and the possible culprit on bank 1 was not only covered in carbon whereas the bank 2 sensor was not, but the actual sensor was smaller in diameter than the B2S1. Is this typical of a replacement O2 sensor?

Quick Reply: Did a tune up on my 98 ZR2