Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Distributor back in, close enough or still a tooth off? Picture inside!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 05:19 AM
Starting Member
Denominator is on a distinguished road

Ok, did all what the tec articels tell me to do. Put it at TDC before removing the dist. and rotor, and I was a tooth off. Played some with it and got it back in like the picture under shows, close enough or to much advanced?

When checking the timing, can I disconnect the timing connector and check for 0 timing with a OBDII tool?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read my posts

Worked on this almost all day. But I'm stuck at finding the timing bypass wire.
I have searched all the places I have read about. Under carpet close to heater core, passenger kick panel, driver side close to transmission hump, engine room close to computer and so on. I read that there should be a 4 pin connector on the distributor and that the wire have it origin from that. On my distributor there are only 3 wires. one dark collor and two pink. A bit hard to make out the collors, as they are faded and discollored.

The only singel wire with black connector I find is this orange one, with a small black connector. Could this be it?

It's tucked up under the kick panel just under the glove box, next to the floor curtisy light

If that is not it, where the #%#? is the timing bypass wire on a 95 blazer, 4.3 W

Last edited by rriddle3; 09-26-2010 at 07:32 PM. Reason: COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS. PLEASE USE THE 'EDIT' BUTTON TO ADD TO A POST IF NOBODY HAS REPLIED WITHIN 24 HOURS
Old 09-26-2010, 11:18 PM
Starting Member
robertr728 is on a distinguished road

I would say your timing mark is dead on. Here is what mitchel on demand had to say about setting timing.

Last edited by robertr728; 09-26-2010 at 11:21 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:26 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by robertr728
DO NOT disconnect the 4-wire connector at distributor.
That's just it, my blazer don't have the 4-wire connector at the distributor. This is what my distributor is set up with:

This trows me off a bitt, I can' find any bypass wire.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:53 AM
Starting Member
robertr728 is on a distinguished road

Well i dont know. Are you sure yours is a 1995 and that it has the correct engine in it?Its quite possible its a late 95 but really a 1996 and the timing is not adjustable?

Last edited by robertr728; 09-27-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:12 AM
Starting Member

Yes, its a late 95, and maybe really a 96, and no the timing is not adjustable.
But I won't to make sure that I have the distributor back in at the right tooth, and at 0, timing by-passed. This is the only reason I'm looking for the by-pass wire.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:16 PM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

i also have a 95 truck.....and it came from the factory with a 96 style ditributor on the top portion of the distributor.....its a crab style cap with no adjustment and a hook on the bottom to locate it.....96 had the dame top but different bottom to lacate it.....the timing is all computer controled....you can only advance the timing if you modify your rotor button and turn the rotor clockwise like i did.....

Old 09-27-2010, 03:28 PM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

holy cow, i typed all this info on this tread and it was deleted some how!

Old 09-30-2010, 04:13 PM
Starting Member

Here we go again!! I'm so sick of this Blazer, but at the moment I have no other solution then to keep at it. I need this Blazer.

I think that my ignition still is off! I't has a growling sound at acceleration that makes me worry. It starts just fine and have some what good power, but I feel it's a bit weaker..... It has a tic around the sparkplugs.....

Changed the plugs today, and the growling noise got worse. In my head this means that it now has better spark as the old plugs was some what worn. And now the misfire and retarted timing is more notisable. Any truth to that?

As I can't find any bypass wire I can't confirm ignition with a ignition lamp. But I did a new vacuum test and it has a steady puls between 18 and 19 as to this site sugest retarded timing : http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/186.cfm

Last edited by Denominator; 09-30-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:41 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

From the sounds of it, you have the newer EDI ignition system which cannot be set like the old systems could.

Take a read through the following thread:
EDI Engine Timing

Old 10-01-2010, 01:41 PM
Starting Member

That's the write-up I have been using. Still think I'm a tooth off.
Would it start an run if it was 180 off?

I can't take the old distributor apart anymore, the bolts has been tightened for the last time. So I think it's time for a new distributor.

Quick Reply: Distributor back in, close enough or still a tooth off? Picture inside!