Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Driven at 50mph in 4-low, now won't start!

Old 08-24-2008, 10:05 PM
dffraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driven at 50mph in 4-low, now won't start!

First of all I am not a complete idiot, however I let my girlfriend drive my blazer. Needless to say she managed to hit the 4-low button and then she drove approximately 15-20miles at around 50mph. Now it won't engage the starter. Do you think my problems are major, or would it be a sensor or computer reset problem? If anyone else has had experience with this let me know. Thanks for your help. By the way it is a 99 4-door model.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:12 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Driven at 50mph in 4-low, now won't start!

Probably tore up the transfer case. I wouldn't be suprised if it is actually broken..

So...what are you doing about the girlfriend

I'd say do a physical inspection beneath the truck...look for leaks/breaks. I doubt the computer would have anything to do with it, but you might was well try pulling one of the battery cables off and leaving it for 20 min...that should reset the system.

Good luck!

Edit: Upon further review...it looks like you might be somewhat ok...4lo isn't neccesarily bad to drive in as long as she didn't make any turns. If the roads got real curvy, then you're looking at the binding problems. I cant really figure out why your starter would have failed though..

Old 08-24-2008, 11:53 PM
Starting Member
fondo has a little shameless behavior in the past
Default RE: Driven at 50mph in 4-low, now won't start!

Does the starter still function, and if so, what kinda sound is it making? If still clicks and makes a noise when you turn the key but doesn't engage with the flex plate, the starter is out of alignment and that tells me that something is probably broke. What mightbe broke... the bell housing of the transmission is my first guess, but that might not be the only thing unfortunately.
The only way to truly know what is wrong is to visually inspect the undercarriage of the vehicle.
Hope it doesn't turn out to be what I mentioned above. Good luck

Old 08-25-2008, 11:43 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Driven at 50mph in 4-low, now wont start!

50MPH in 4LO would have been excruciatingly high RPMs. The NVG226 transfer case has a 2.65:1 reduction in gear ratio when in 4LO (1:1 in 2HI/4HI/Auto4HI). So lets say that if in OD & high gear at 50MPH, your engine is turning 1600RPM. In 4LO, OD, and 50MPH, your engine would be turning ~4200RPM!! WOW! You are lucky that more stuff didn't break!

I would have a look at the battery charge level. Have the battery tested as well as the alternator. Turning that fast for a long time can have devastating consequences to the mechanical components.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:08 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

So no innate risk to the transfer case going 50 in 4Lo other than sheer RPM-related forces? And binding I would imagine though?

Old 08-25-2008, 01:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You will have some binding, but that shouldn't cause the engine to not start. Now if it were leaking fluid out of the underside of the truck, I'd say you've done something bad to the t-case. As far as the transfer case was concerned, it wasn't seeing high forces really.