Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Drivers side valve cover removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 01:58 AM
Beginning Member
TheSnowGoose is on a distinguished road
Default Drivers side valve cover removal

So.. I got my passenger side valve cover off without much trouble but the drivers side is not as simple. I have an 89 4.3 TBI and from the looks of it i gotta take the alternator off to access and remove the bracket that hold it in place. Along with possibly disconnecting what i assume to be a hose related to the break fluid just to remove my valve cover. I am learnin as i go so correct me if im wrong. Im sure someone has replaced there valve cover gaskets in the past. Any advise would be desperately appreciated.

Last edited by TheSnowGoose; 08-06-2018 at 02:00 AM.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:19 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by TheSnowGoose
So.. I got my passenger side valve cover off without much trouble but the drivers side is not as simple. I have an 89 4.3 TBI and from the looks of it i gotta take the alternator off to access and remove the bracket that hold it in place. Along with possibly disconnecting what i assume to be a hose related to the break fluid just to remove my valve cover. I am learnin as i go so correct me if im wrong. Im sure someone has replaced there valve cover gaskets in the past. Any advise would be desperately appreciated.
A picture would help but from my experience on my 1999 (and a 1992 I had a while ago), half of the repair job can seem to be taken up with getting other parts out of the way first.

On the 1999 and other second gen Blazers, the AC bracket that is on the drivers side can be loosened and slid forward to allow access to the intake manifold bolts. There is one more kind of hidden one down low on the side of the block. You might have a similar configuration.

Good luck

Old 08-07-2018, 03:11 AM
Beginning Member
TheSnowGoose is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by christine_208
A picture would help but from my experience on my 1999 (and a 1992 I had a while ago), half of the repair job can seem to be taken up with getting other parts out of the way first.

On the 1999 and other second gen Blazers, the AC bracket that is on the drivers side can be loosened and slid forward to allow access to the intake manifold bolts. There is one more kind of hidden one down low on the side of the block. You might have a similar configuration.

Good luck
Thanks for the advice. Mine was a little different. I got it off though. Had to take out the alternator and the hose/ bracket for the booster. That plus a little reverse Tetris and i got it to slide out. Puttin it back in is gonna be interestin but thats tomorrows problem haha.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:39 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by TheSnowGoose
Thanks for the advice. Mine was a little different. I got it off though. Had to take out the alternator and the hose/ bracket for the booster. That plus a little reverse Tetris and i got it to slide out. Puttin it back in is gonna be interestin but thats tomorrows problem haha.
"a little reverse Tetris" LOL!