Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Dropping in a new engine...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 10:10 PM
Beginning Member
RyanDrnk is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Dropping in a new engine...

I just bought my 92 blazer and got it running. When I started it I heard something I dreaded. The engine was going tapitty tap tap tap. Pressed the accellerator and the tapping got faster. Shes also blowing white smoke. Soooo I decided I will run her til she blows and then drop a new engine in her since shes already got very high miles on her.

The thing is I found a place where I can get a remanufactured engine for a great price and all but I dont know if I will need anything that isnt shipped with the engine. Does anyone know what does not come with an engine as far as what it needs to get running?

My stepfather or one of his friends will be installing the new motor for me but I am just trying to figure out what Im going to need since I have no way of getting ahold of them at this point in time.

Please do me a favor and not post things such as just buy a new vehicle or anything of that sort. I like my 92 and do not plan on getting rid of her.

heres the engine i will be ordering
http://www.rebuilt-auto-engines.com/...02110085717.01

Old 03-08-2011, 10:46 PM
s14sh3r is on a distinguished road

Everything not on the new engine will be swapped over from your old one. I didn't see where the new one came with a gasket set, so you'll probably have to buy one of those + fluids. This would be a good time to replace your hoses and belt, but if they're in good shape you don't have to. As long as your old engine was running ok except for the tapping, you shouldn't have to buy anything else.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:14 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

If you get a long block you should have complete engine including heads minus sheet metal (Valve Cover, Timing Cover, Oil Pan), minus Intake system, minus exhaust manifolds, minus all accessories on the front of the engine. You will need gaskets for the Intake and Exhaust, timing cover, water pump, water inlet and oil pan. Also when I got my GM Long block the oil pick up tube/screen was not attached to the oil pump. To install the pick up tube into the oil pump you need to get the installing tool from Autozone Loan A Tool. Otherwise you chance damageing the pick up tube. My GM long block came with installation instructions that I had follow. The instructions required I get some break in lube and pour it over the main bearings. I had to use cooling tabs in the radiator. I had use a oil pump drive shaft through the distributer opening to prime the engine with oil prior to starting. (Oil pump drive shaft is also availible from Autozone Loan A Tool program) See the link below for GM Engine Installation Instructions.

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/gwinst.html

Last edited by mr.vls; 03-09-2011 at 06:27 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:28 AM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

They should send you something as far as warranty as well. I remember working at a parts store and there were specific things or else warranty was void. Make sure to read everything.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:54 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks for all the help folks. I really appreciate it. Hopefully I will have the engine by the time my Stepfather gets home on leave.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:19 AM

I looked at your link and it looks like a quality engine at a very good price. It might not be worth the shipping price to return the core so I would try and sell your old engine to a local junkyard or just consider it part of the cost. They even sugest that on their own website. If you were in spokane washington you could just return the engine at their facillity. When I purchased my engine from a local chevy dealer I just had to return the core to them to get the deposit back.

Last edited by mr.vls; 03-09-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:27 PM
Beginning Member

@ mr.vls Thanks I didnt even think about how much it would cost to ship the core back. I will most likely do as you said and sell it to the local scrapyard.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:21 PM

Issues to look out for: Broken Y-Pipe to Exhaust Manifold Bolts, Ensuring that the power steering pump pulley is re-installed co-planer with the other pulleys. Removing the upper bell housing bolts can be a real PIA. (Lower transmission or jack body up to get at)
This is also a good time to get as many new parts as you can afford: Tune up parts, Engine Mounts, Water Pump, Hoses, Radiator, Fan Clutch, EGR Valve. I used GM Thread Sealent for items that go into water jackets. I removed my old engine, transfered all parts and installed the replacement engine by myself with no help. Good luck with the install and if you have any questions do not hesitate to ask. There is a lot of people on this forum that are willing to help.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:34 PM

How is the engine installation going?