Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

Lowering / Dropping a 4wd Blazer -- NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 08:28 PM
speeddemon560 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lowering / Dropping a 4wd Blazer -- NEED HELP

Ok. So I want to lower my 20004wdBlazer. Belltech makes the 3/3 drop. I've been reading about the blocks for the rear, and they don't seem too difficult to install. Now I don't know about the front. I know I have to replace the torsion keys and they seem to be hard to do. I don't want to get a professional to install the kit because I don't want to pay for that. Can someone show me pictures of the replaced torsion keys on a 4wd Blazer?

Also, if I lower the truck 3/3, then will I have to replace the shocks too? If so, I was thinking about Bilstein shocks. Anybody have them?

I also found this on eBay. It seems like a good deal, it's more reasonable than Belltech with Bilstein shocks which is going to be a couple hundred. This auction with 4 ST gas shocks is 270 with shipping. Seems good. What are your opinions?

ebay auction link

Please, please, please help me. Thanks!

Old 01-09-2007, 08:46 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Lowering / Dropping a 4wd Blazer -- NEED HELP

What are your opinions?
4X4 ====LIFT it's a 4x4 dude.........lift it or leave it alone!

Sorry but you did ask for opinions.......lol

Old 01-09-2007, 08:51 PM
speeddemon560 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sporting 20in chrome rims, I can lift it! It's not an off-roading machine....

Old 01-09-2007, 09:00 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

Then leave it alone...My 20's look just fine at stock ride hieght......IMHO

Old 01-09-2007, 10:50 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

whoa, lastcoupes comin out swingin'

Im sure someone here can answer your questions........but not me...

but lastcoupes blazer does look nice like that......If I ever get 20's, it will stay at stock height......less worries, and I could still take her off road............with a tire change of course

Old 01-31-2007, 09:39 PM
Starting Member
agent305 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a 2000 blazer 4x4 that i dropped. see.... in new england its hard to find a 2 WHEEL DRIVE blazer that isnt that PEWTER color. anyway.... i got the torsion keys and the 3" blocks from beltech. it was mad easy to do both. the only problem... when i let the back down, it was sittin on the factory bump stops, all i did was get new rear bump stops (in case i wanted to go back to stock) and i cut 3" off the ones that were in there. that brought the rear down about 5" in all. for the front i bought the factory replacement bump stops and cut about 3/4 of an inch off those. it rode horrible till i changes the shocks. i got the toxic drop shocks, and once those were in, the truck rode awesome. i have a better ride then i did before. hope this helps.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:35 AM
heyson222 is an unknown quantity at this point

as far a dropping the blazer, the 4x4 , i did one on my mine,
nice look as long as you have the shocks, important, please dont skip this step, i did and the ride sucked!
STEPS:
1. support car with jack stand , on the frame, not the lower control arm., both sides,
2. remove wheel
3. important,---- get a hydroulic jack and place it under the brake rotor, very important FOR SUPPORT!
4. remove the lower ball joint nut, unitl nut is off, (i cant remember but if the sway bar links are on there you need to remove them, (they look like a rod with bushing on them)(and when tighten them back dont over tighten to the point where the bushing get sqaushed! just a little expansion , not alot!
5. then with a hammer, hit the housing, so you can losen the ball joint, from the spindle,(the spindle is the part where the the ball joint threads are coming through( be careful to and not hit the threads, as you might want to place the screw on the threads about (half way), so you don't accidently hit the treads by accident!)
6. after hiitng the spindle it should be losened, (remember the hydroulic jack is still under the brake rotor) , remove the lower ball joint from the spindle.
7. now, press down on the lower control arm, to loosen it up a little
8. now, be very carful, go to where the torsion keys are and remove the bolt that is holding the keys.(try to remember where the placement of the bolt is so when you tighten it back you have a guideline to where it was before). remove bolt all the way.
9. now the torsion bar, is a solid metal bar, so what you want to do is , if you can (grab the bar, and pull the bar towards the front of the vehicle( with a little of tugging and pulling , it should work, and the bar will move forward. (hence then, the keys will be removed from the bar!)
10. insert new keys back into torsion bar, install bolt and adjust accordingly.
11. install ball joint on , etc,,,,,,
12 .(Your done!!!!)
VERY IMPORTANT---------------------------------
1.when adjusting the height you want to put a hydrolic jack in front the blazer and lift up the blazer so you can relieve the front wheels of pressure from the torsion bar,,,, remember tthe torsion bars support the whole front end
2.with the wheels of the ground, adjust the bolt to the desired look, the up ward direction when tightening the bolt make the blazer lower, reversing the bolt make the car higher
3. hope this helped u
-------------------let me know how it went-----------p m my message box! later

Old 02-02-2007, 08:14 PM
Starting Member
agent305 is an unknown quantity at this point

thats exactly what the instructions for my beltech kit said to do. but i didnt do any of it. id just treat it as if you were replacing the torsion bars. all i did was put the front on stands and put jacks under the rotors so when i took out the torsion keys the the rotors didnt fall, but they didnt move anyways. the torsion keys took me about a hour-hour and a half to do. i think all that jazz about loosenin all the suspension is so people who arent mechanically inclined wont hurt themselves. my truck rides better than it did befor i dropped it

Old 02-06-2007, 04:18 PM
heyson222 is an unknown quantity at this point

did you do the install already?and how did it go.did it seem easy to do, or hard, mechnically its not, but, man you save a bundle, to job can be done within an hour, very easy, just get the shocks though, i had a 4x4 blazer, 1999, 4 dr and , i wish i opted the 2wd, (stupid me!) anyway i sold the car, then i purchased a 2001 blazer, looked on line and got the 2wd drive version, paid about 8100 for the truck, i got the truck do to the versatily of the suspension, same engine 4.3 v6, and all, only i have to worry about is snow,thats it, but this truck is a keeper, and will have forever, gets me to work and back everyday, had 3 blazers, some reason just like the trucks looks, when hooked up correctly ) although would like a tahoe, but gas is out of control and not worth the trade up! i had a xenon kit on my 1999, awesome kit with the lower look , i got alot of complinents on the vechicle, it was grey on top and black on bottom(two tone)purchased liked that. but the problem was the suspension! just be aware that when you turn the wheels after some time( hard turns especially) you might hear a clanking noise, which thinks is the cv axle,tire rod-(one of the those two). kinda gets anoying after a while, but i just let is slide. anyway keep me update, nice to see another chevy blazer dude who is into this stuff.. pm my box later man, and good luck!