Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

ebay fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 11:43 PM
Beginning Member
gravest is on a distinguished road

I will definitely try this. thanks for the great advise. I would of just done the leak down test and tried for the pump. not sure I wanna tackle that intake but definitely could save a expensive mistake.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:34 AM
Beginning Member

Probably not recommended to get a salvage yard pump either. Course you guys are probably saying "what a cheap sucker". but no not cheap. I just gotta decide to eat this pay period or get the kids back and forth to appointments and things. I am quite handy with cars but I don't have a manual for it and you guys seem very helpful. Like I said. I would of never thought to check the pump vs. the regulator. Thanks guys and sorry if I do sound like a cheapy.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:07 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Well,ive done the salvage yard thing on my other cars..If you can find one with say 100k miles,and its a original pump,its a chance,try it. They usually last till a good 150-200k miles..

But then if you think about it...you gotta drop that tank...just to see if its a original...im lazy,its worth just buying a new one lol

Old 09-02-2011, 01:10 AM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

We dont know your situation. All we know on here is what we read.
Yes, you should use new parts. Yes, used is a huge risk. Yes, after market is a risk.
YES, the kids need to eat. Yes, the lights need to stay on.

You do what you have to do to keep the kids safe and fed. Whatever decision you make, I hope it works out for you!

Best of luck!

Old 09-02-2011, 03:44 AM
Beginning Member

Well thanks kristoph. I already feel guilty enough for the situation we are in. Then to come on here whining about a part i need. but I do appreciate all of the good advice i've gotten. Has anyone ever gotten one of these fuel pump module repair kits (55.00 ac delco.) how hard would it be to rebuild the pump? still get the ac delco pump for alot less money. is it worth the money or is it better to buy the assembled module. my sending unit is messing up below 1/4 tank too. that needs to be replaced too

Old 09-02-2011, 05:07 AM

I have no experience with them. If you decide to use it, Bring whatyou learn back to us!

Old 09-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Beginning Member

I just cannot talk myself into that 2-300 dollar pump. I'm really just asking cause I still dont know if i need it thing about this trucks history.figured I would tackle one thing at a time. but right now my wife wont let it stay off of the road long enough to test it. Silly woman!

Old 09-04-2011, 12:21 AM

I just want to be sure I understand.....This is just a hard start problem?
If so, You and your wife have developed a work around? Hit the key multiple times and it starts right?

Im going to ask for other input here, But if it was me, just me, I think I would consider living with it if times are really that tight. It could fail on you tomorrow or it might not.

I have never had the check valve only fail on me, but if i had a choice of the cost of a new fuel assembly vs. cycling the key a couple times, I think I know what my decision would be.

INPUT PLEASE!!!

Old 09-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Beginning Member
lt1/ta is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by gravest
Well thanks kristoph. I already feel guilty enough for the situation we are in. Then to come on here whining about a part i need. but I do appreciate all of the good advice i've gotten. Has anyone ever gotten one of these fuel pump module repair kits (55.00 ac delco.) how hard would it be to rebuild the pump? still get the ac delco pump for alot less money. is it worth the money or is it better to buy the assembled module. my sending unit is messing up below 1/4 tank too. that needs to be replaced too
A friend of mine bought one of these ebay pumps for his 98 bravada and it lasted him three months,so he bought an airtex.

What is this ac delco module repair?Taking the module apart is very easy and I believe you can put a replacement pump such as walbro or another reputable brand pump in the module and save a lot of money,assuming
the wiring in the pump module is not burned.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:24 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by pettyfog
Got to emphasize that... that's how you get cars with failed fuel pumps home when they run 40 lbs pressure. I dont see that happening in these cars. Not even Walbro pumps work real great in them.. and they're like bulletproof in Fords

But you're supposed to slap the tank with a 2 ft long 2x4
ha yeah. thats kinda a ghetto way of checking to see if the fuel pump is bad, if the truck/car wont start give it a few hits, if it fires up or tries to you need a fuel pump. i got a 5lb plastic hammer i use for such tests