Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Emergency E-fan Install...used a switch already

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Silver00LT is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Emergency E-fan Install...used a switch already

As I HATE drilling into such a beautiful dash I had literally 30 minutes to do this. Today after work it was 108* on the gauge...sat in traffic for about 45 minutes...no problem. Went to pay rent came back out took two tries for it to start and notice temp was 240<. Gauge was still reading 100* with 47% humidity. Continued down the road watching the temp gauge more than the road. I already had to run her hot once to get me home from a bad area. This cracked the radiator. Had that fixed and reinstalled thought I bled it out, but today I pulled the tab on the cap and coolant just boiled into the overflow even though temp gauge stated 210*. I installed my two 12" E-fans in front of the condensor. They were already set to push air and I had slim time.

As I did not want to drill into the dash(just yet) as it needed to look good I unplugged the rear defroster and ran the wire to the fuse box where the defrost button turns on the fans. I have NO lower fan shroud and upper is pretty much gone along with all the fins but 3. The rest have silver dollar chunks gone from them. This was caused due to worn out motor mounts I have yet been able to replace. I will not have the funds for a good while nor the time. Being my only vehicle...this a okay setup for 3-6 months? I plan on replacing the fan and clutch with a e-fan/shroud that will cover the entire rear of the radiator as I have the oil/tran coolers built into the radiator.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

3-6 months is likely a stretch... I'd be getting to the local pick-n-pull fast to get replacement parts.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:06 PM

It was a 30A fuse and I know the slim fans do not pull that many amps, but I ALSO do not know what else(if any) is on that circuit I am using. I am stopping by a PAP this weekend after drill on Sunday. Maybe over the next few days maybe work will not wear me out to the point I can not use a dremel and cut two switch(fogs and fans) that way I have the fans on a separate circuit and do not have to risk burning up that circuit. As a precaution I will not be running it in the mornings just when I am in traffic or under 40mph. That is around 30 minutes a day. Then it would be switched off.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

As a precaution, if you use a relay, you won't be adding any real load to the circuit, just using it to turn on the relay.

Pusher fans never really work as well as puller fans.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:49 PM

Yeah. Well the defrost has that auto off timer. I will be adding a relay to even a switch, but this was a emergency install. When I remove the factory fan and shroud a puller will be getting installed. Just did not have enough time to disassemble these and convert them to pullers.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:17 PM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

Do you still have the old parts? I trust the belt driven fan more than anything. If you do, you will need to reinstall the shroud....very important chunk of plastic!

Good luck!

Old 08-04-2011, 03:01 AM

I would have the shroud installed if it was not in 10 pieces. I hate belt driven fans with a passion...only thing I dislike about the truck.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:59 AM
Administrator

Can't argue with the CFM capability & reliability of an engine driven fan though!

Old 08-04-2011, 08:58 AM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

I am amazed at the simplicity and reliability of the belt driven clutch fan design. When working right they basically just go along for the ride but when needed: HOLY CRAP THEY CAN MOVE AIR! I run EMS as a volunteer. Our squad (2005 E350) has the clutch fan. When she heats up, you can hear the fan over the emt's in the back hollering "Drive faster!"

I belong to the KISS club. (Keep It Simple Stupid)

Old 08-04-2011, 08:09 PM

Yeah but these belt driven fans the second that shroud becomes compromised....they are worthless.

You should hear the trans cooler we have on our LMTV.

Quick Reply: Emergency E-fan Install...used a switch already