Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

encoder motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 08:57 PM
Beginning Member
acslip is on a distinguished road
Default encoder motor

I have a 94 s-10 blazer, I'm having issues with my 4 wheel drive, sometimes the lights on the 4 high and 4 low come on, sometimes they don't, sometimes the 4 wheel engages, sometimes is does not. I can hear the transfer case move and then is does not, the actuator under the battery cable was pulling in and out, but now there is no vacuum. I check the codes and I have a code 2 which is "encoder motor".

My question is how reliable are the codes? I do not want to go and buy the encoder motor and this end up not being the issue.

Any help from anyone would be appreciated.

Thanks

acslip

Old 12-27-2009, 09:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you are not sure, test. error_401 wrote a pretty good article in the Tech Article (DIY) section on the NV233 transfer case electronics.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:16 PM
Beginning Member

If I'm getting a # 2 code, does this eliminate the tccm being bad, as if this was bad I would not get any codes correct?

acslip

Old 12-28-2009, 06:13 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There is plenty of documentation at your finger tips. Read up and then let us know if you still have questions.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:24 AM
Beginning Member

I have been reading up, I been through most of the threads on this forum. I been all through the internet. And I'm still confused as ever. Before I start buying all kinds of parts I would like to know which is bad the tccm or the encoder motor. from everything I read it sounds as everyone is a confused as I am.

acslip

Old 12-28-2009, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Do you know how to work a multimeter? If so, then test away. You can quite easily verify that the encoder is at fault by simply testing it given the information in the aforementioned thread by error_401.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:54 PM
Beginning Member

Yes I know how to use a multimeter, I pulled the tccm today and tested and I'm getting voltage there on several pins, ~11.8 to 11.9 volts. So I believe this is good. Today the 4 wheel is working just fine, so this is an issue that comes and goes. I have not tested the encoder yet.

acslip

One thing I forgot to mention, I'm not getting the code 2 anymore which is the encoder, but now I'm getting a code 1 which is RAM standby power fault. The book says open connection or short in the tccm. All the wires looked good and the connection looked good as well. Could the short be in the tccm it self?

acslip

Last edited by swartlkk; 12-28-2009 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Combining Consecutive Posts - Please use the EDIT feature if another member has yet to respond. Consecutive posting is against forum rules.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:00 AM
Starting Member
jacobcnc is on a distinguished road

You will get code 1 any time you unhook the tccm

Old 12-30-2009, 06:49 PM
Beginning Member

so if the four wheel works and then does not and i'm not getting the code 2 anymore, would it be same to say that my encode motor is going bad and not my tccm?

Old 12-30-2009, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Sounds more like you have a connection problem than a component problem.

Quick Reply: encoder motor