Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Engine ate another distributor cap.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 12:49 PM
Starting Member
chcknugget is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by pettyfog
Dielecrtric grease isnt used to directly 'maintain contact' it is used to keep air {actually oxygen} out of the contact area and prevent the contacts from oxidizing/corroding. Dielectic grease doesn't conduct electricity.

Read my sig line, I damn well DONT expect you to just take my word for it. When you come across opinions contrary to what you think you know.. investigate!
Your links came up as google searches, not refence material. I tried the grease years ago and saw no benefit so I am not using it anymore... I would never use dielectric grease to coat the contacts in a points-style ignition and now looking back would never use it on a rotor. Wouldn't coating posts with non-conductive grease increase the resistance across the air gap and cause the posts to burn up faster? What would happen if you tried to weld aluminum through a layer of dielectric grease? I'm still willing to bet it would splatter and the bead wouldn't be any easier to control. Over time the grease certainly looks burnt and flings off the rotor anyways. Grease certainly is a dirt/dust magnet as well.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:58 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by chcknugget
Your links came up as google searches, not refence material. I tried the grease years ago and saw no benefit so I am not using it anymore... I would never use dielectric grease to coat the contacts in a points-style ignition and now looking back would never use it on a rotor. Wouldn't coating posts with non-conductive grease increase the resistance across the air gap and cause the posts to burn up faster? What would happen if you tried to weld aluminum through a layer of dielectric grease? I'm still willing to bet it would splatter and the bead wouldn't be any easier to control. Over time the grease certainly looks burnt and flings off the rotor anyways. Grease certainly is a dirt/dust magnet as well.

You sir.. are either a troll or worse.

I once spent a full day arguing with an idiot who declared that coating battery terminals with grease caused starting problems. Cuz his dad, a shop mechanic said so!
So I aint gonna do that again.
The core principles are:
- Aluminum is a bad material to make high voltage contacts
- Because of spatter.
You believe what ever you want.

Last edited by pettyfog; 04-22-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:15 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by chcknugget

I used grease on my cap and plugs and never had a problem

Old 04-23-2012, 09:08 AM
Starting Member
chcknugget is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12
I used grease on my cap and plugs and never had a problem
For clarification, I use the grease on the external contacts, but not the internal contacts where the rotor spins. Why are you getting nasty pettyfog? You can have an opinion without slinging insults...

Old 04-25-2012, 10:11 PM
sparkz^ is on a distinguished road

use the Dielecrtric greaseon wires and contacts,, I also know this to work and was done for years in race cars, its a cheap working fix that will only help,, I have done all my service trucks also for years and never had issues with burnt or crusty caps making a no start..

again both ends of cables and on contacts and a small dab under rotoe where its colesest to shaft keep it from burning thu to drive shaft also..

Hope this helps you too..

Patrick

Old 04-26-2012, 05:25 PM
onebadsuv is on a distinguished road

here is the general consensus I've found on the various car/truck manufacture forums I visit , also how I've always "done it" ... on the use and application of dielectric grease during a tune-up :

"source quote"
Dielectric grease does not conduct electricity. It's an electrical insulator not a conductor. It's only used for the rubber portions of the spark plug boots to keep moisture out and to keep the boot from sticking to the ceramic portion of the plug. Electrical conductors should not be coated with dielectric grease prior to being mated. A lot of people think it enhances electrical conductivity, a common misconception.
You should just ensure that the contacts are clean and you should be good. Maybe a slight film of some conductive grease if you want to feel better.

another quote here -
DON'T use dielectric grease on the cap or rotor contact! The contact is a spring loaded carbon brush, it's self lubricating, and it sheds a small amount of carbon dust. That carbon dust plus the grease will turn the grease conductive, and the heat and centrifugal force will make it ooze all over the inside of the cap until you start arcing over.

In other words, it will ruin your cap and rotor eventually.

Originally Posted by BobKWJ
To answer your question, do not use it on the metal to metal electrical connections. It will inhibit the conductivity of the connection.

OLDGeezer wrote -
It can be useful in preventing moisture and air and other corrosive stuff away from the uninsulated metal (blades, pins, sockets, etc.) in metal-to-metal contacts of separable electrical connectors. When the connectors are pushed together, the metal-to-metal contact is made by the blades, pins, etc. pushing the soft grease away from the areas of contact.

I differ from BobKWJ and will say that the grease will not hinder electrical conduction in a metal-to-metal contact any more that any other insulator, like air or plastic if the contact is potted, surrounding the contact.

However, in a distributor, the rotor does not actually come in physical contact with the electrodes in the cap. There is a very small gap between them. Grease on the rotor tip and the electrodes could fill up the gap and make it a little harder for current to jump that gap. Current through the grease could also cause chemical reactions that would degrade the tip of the rotor and the electrodes. Don't use dielectric grease in those places.

the above quoted posts , pretty much sum it up .... (for me anyway)

Last edited by onebadsuv; 04-27-2012 at 01:33 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 04-26-2012, 06:06 PM
BF Veteran

Like I said... you believe what you want... your sources, UNLINKED, I notice are WRONG.
Point out the carbon rotor contact in the cap, okay?
Go to your service entrance/circuit breaker box. Look at the terminals where the aluminum cable from the meter clamps in the terminal.
Grease is used to prevent oxygen from entering the contact / conduction area not just to make insulators waterproof. Contact areas corrode from the outside in due to the heating/expansion- cooling /contraction effect along with galvanic eddy currents caused by electron flow through dissimilar metals. When that occurs, oxides are formed on the peripheral area if there is oxygen available. Oxides do not conduct, thus the mating area is reduced even if miniscule amount. And the process starts over,
There are only two UL approved methods of splicing household aluminum wiring. One REQUIRES dielectric grease, the other recommends it.
- point of interest. Aluminum power wiring is totally safe. It's only the connections that cause the troubles and can be dangerous.

But none of that matters because the real applicable physics in the case of aluminum points in caps is that concerning welding arcs ,, just on a much lower arc/current. Any drawback caused by conversion of the silicones that may be present is overcome by reduction of open area spattering. Like I said above, it's not the 'white' powder that's the problem, it's the spattered non-oxidized aluminum that's lying there with it.

Again.. you do what you want, just dont spread the flawed 'conventional wisdom' around when you dont understand the physics.

Best bet.. use quality caps. Which rules out aluminum. Then the discussion is moot.
That is, until you have troubles with the wiring under your truck and go by your rules. Clean the contacts good and only put grease on the connector seals.. cause the wiki says it doesnt help on the contacts. Then wonder why you have to do it again next year.

Read this.. it's far from unique
http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/...ic-grease.html

Last edited by pettyfog; 04-26-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:11 PM

I wrenched for several local dealerships back in the day with 4 years ASE training , before taking up electronics and now networking and servers . I am not spreading miss-information - posted are the carbon spring loaded brushes visible (just like the spring loaded brushes in an alternator) along with what happens if excess dielectric grease gets under the cap ...

aluminum cap with low miles

clean used brass cap

Last edited by onebadsuv; 04-27-2012 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Point out the carbon rotor contact in the cap, okay?
Old 04-26-2012, 08:59 PM
BF Veteran

What ever.. we're done with this. I'm sorry.. I dont care if you have a PhD. We're arguing over side-issues, but you havent made the case. You dont need to accept that I did.
{BTW I was wrenching on Mainframes back 45 years ago when solid connections werent taken for granted as they are today.}

Old 04-26-2012, 09:29 PM

Avoid the use of aluminum post style caps - BRASS is superior ...
but I still prefer to not put anything inside the distributor cap/rotor contact area - externally and the plug wire boots

Last edited by onebadsuv; 04-28-2012 at 07:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine ate another distributor cap.