Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Engine does not rev past 2000 rpm under load

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 08:14 PM
etowntom is on a distinguished road
Default Engine does not rev past 2000 rpm under load

Hi everyone. I joined the forum today looking for a solution to the problem i'm having. After reading numerous posts I'm still at a loss as to what I should do. This is the problem I am having.

I just aquired a 95 jimmy that has 216,000 km on it. Its having the typical EGR valve problem. The other day I purchased a carbon cleaner which i sprayed threw the vac line right ontop of the throttle body. I also added a carbon cleaner addative to the fuel. I took off the egr valve and cleaned it. The pintle was working fine. I reassembled everything and took it for a drive to clean as much of the carbon out after using the cleaner. It ran fine. The next day I take the truck out and it is running good for the first hour and then it started acting up. This is what its doing now. If you put the truck in park it will rev fine, all the way threw the rpm range, while applying light throttle. If you are to stomp on the gas the engine will rev to around 2000 rpm and then its like there is a rev limiter that it keeps bouncing off of. When you drive it you have to accelerate with minimum throttle input otherwise it will just stop accelerating once you hit the 2000 rpm mark. I took it for a drive today after reseting the computer and it started out not reving past 2000 then got worse and would only rev to 1500. I shut the vehicle off and turned it back on and it went back to only rev to 2000. I checked the cat by banging on it and i didn't hear any loose debris. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

Old 09-06-2010, 09:07 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Even if the cat doesn't rattle, there could still be loose pieces lodged somewhere inside it or further back in the exhaust system-possibly the muffler.

Also, try shifting through the gears manually to help eliminate a transmission issue.

Lastly, take note of the exhaust manifolds before and after you drive it. If they are glowing red after your drive you most definitely have a restriction in your exhaust somewhere.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:03 PM

Well I took the truck into a muffler shop today to see what they could make of it. They said the cat was fine and did some diagnostics on it and determined it was the fuel pump. They then quoted me $330 for the pump and $460 for labour lol. I told them no thank you and paid the $40 for their diagnostics. Called up NAPA and got a quote for $130 for the pump. Looked up how to swap the pump looks pretty simple and thankfully the truck is running on almost empty. So hopefully they were right about the fuel pump and it doesn't rain this weekend lol.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:06 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Beware - cheap pumps have a tendency to fail much more quickly. AC Delco or Delphi pumps are recommended from experience by many members, myself included!

Old 09-07-2010, 08:09 PM

Ah thanks for the heads up. Does $300 sound in the ball park for one of those brands?

Old 09-07-2010, 08:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I just looked up your application at RockAuto.com and it looks like you can replace the pump separate and an AC Delco kit would cost you ~$77. You will want to get a new strainer with that as well, but still quite inexpensive for OE.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:16 PM

Nice, Thanks man!