Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Engine hoist attachment

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 10:05 PM
bbell is on a distinguished road
Default Engine hoist attachment

Been doing some research and getting ready to do a engine swap. I was wondering can anybody tell me the best attachment method to use when pulling a 1996 4.3 vortec vin w engine? I trying to figure out the best way to attach the engine hoist to the engine. Thanks

Old 06-21-2009, 10:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I usually pull the accessory drive brackets off the front of the motor (driver side at least) and then use one of the tapped holes in the front and back of the heads on opposite banks with two short pieces of steel I made up close to 20 years ago. The pieces are about 4" long, 2" wide, 1/4" thick straps with a 1/2" hole drilled on either end. They have pulled in excess of 20 motors!

Old 06-22-2009, 12:38 AM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

I have used the same attachment points but instead ran a grade 8 bolt with a washer through the chain links.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:21 PM
bbell is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys,
I was thinking of making a plate that attaches where the A/C compress was, something like a four bolt plate with an eye hook in the middle. I believe that this would probably work for the drivers side. I just couldn't think about the pass side attachment. I think that I will give the iron straps a try.
Thanks again.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I like the straps because I have run into firewall clearance before using a longer bolt through a chain. My straps have kind of taken a set with a little bend in them from use. They still work great though! I'll be pulling the motor from my 1990 Suburban donor truck soon.