Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Trunk Screen/Trim Attachment Problem

Old 03-11-2010, 12:11 PM
Beginning Member
jonnycakes is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Trunk Screen/Trim Attachment Problem

In my 2001 LT 4 door 4x4 trunk the piece of trim/molding that also is part of the trunk screen is falling off its correct position into the trunk constantly.

I've tried using double stick tape, velcro, etc. to refasten. The stock clips simply do not hold. I don't want to permanently fasten this down (because the tire jack/tire iron is under it), but does anyone know a good way to attach this so it will stay in place and can be removed on the occasion of a flat?

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

Last edited by jonnycakes; 03-11-2010 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Miss Spelling
Old 03-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You could try making up pins along the upper horizontal edge of the cover which would go into corresponding holes in the underlying trim. This would allow for gravity to hold the cover on for the most part and then come up with some kind of easy release latch for the bottom.

Or, you could possibly try to replace the little drain stopper style fasteners with either new or larger ones...

That actually brings something else to mind... Maybe try some electrical tape around the little rubber stopper portion of the current retainer...? Build it up a bit to add interference to the joint.

Old 03-11-2010, 02:32 PM
Beginning Member
jonnycakes is on a distinguished road

Thanks! That sounds like a good idea, I think I may try and fabricate some pins to "hang" the entire cover along the horizontal top piece under the window. The drain stopper style fasteners are broken on the cover and the places where they fasten to arn't in very good shape either so I'm not sure if I want to try and rely on them.

My main worry is I'm about to add 2 10" subs and an amp to my trunk once the weather warms up. So the fix will have to stand up to sub vibration along with New England road vibration and my goal is to prevent any annoying rattling.

I'll try it out and take a trip to Lowe's and see if I can devise a hanging system with padding to prevent any rattling.