Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Engine ID Wizards

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 06:42 PM
Beginning Member
dcoral is on a distinguished road
Default Engine ID Wizards

Wizards 4.3 please help... I have been shopping for a long block donor for my 02 ZR2.... My mechanic intends to use absolutely everything possible from my 2002... tons of new work, parts, and tune-up to transfer onto the Donor...

Based on the number codes etched on the block in this ad, can anyone tell me with certainty that the transplant can go fairly smooth?
Chevrolet blazer / s10 4.3l engine

Old 11-08-2016, 07:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Any 96+ block & heads will work without issue, however the knock sensor mounting changed. The older blocks (early-01 and older) use a 1/4" npt threaded hole while the newer blocks have a metric straight thread hole. To use an older block, you would either need to make an adapter or drill/tap a new hole on the boss closer to the head as well as grind the boss flat.

Old 11-09-2016, 07:22 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Any 96+ block & heads will work without issue, however the knock sensor mounting changed. The older blocks (early-01 and older) use a 1/4" npt threaded hole while the newer blocks have a metric straight thread hole. To use an older block, you would either need to make an adapter or drill/tap a new hole on the boss closer to the head as well as grind the boss flat.
+1 agree about knock sensor.

Rockers changed as well in late 90's, but that would not cause an issue unless you try to switch between the two different heads/engines.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:05 PM
Beginning Member

Appreciate the simple answer fellas... I have one more somewhat loaded question... As I stated my mechanic wants a Long block replacement... He refuses to do the job half assed, or even taking any short cuts or Modifications... I understand his conviction relating to the quality of work he does... in fact I won't and have never let nor trusted anyone putting a wrench to any of my Blazers or S10's for the past 2 decades....

What are the risks of purchasing new or even re-manufactured exact fit heads matching my current 02-ZR2 intake-exhaust?... and possibly putting those on an affordable used (lower mileage) 'short block'?

Old 11-11-2016, 11:34 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Agree with your mechanic. He does not want a come-back that is not his fault - and warrantied engines will pay him if there is a problem with a rebuilt long-block. Don't jack around. You want this..... what I have and where I bought mine. You can print out and show him the warranty. Probably he was planning on making a little money selling the long block to you - that is normal. Whether he wants to mess with the job if you buy the engine remains to be seen. Need to discuss with him. If you can't put it in yourself, better to let him buy it and give you a parts/labor warranty.

Chevrolet Performance 12491869: GM Goodwrench V6 Crate Engine 2002 Remanufactured LU3 2001-02 Chevy/GMC Truck (CK1) | JEGS

No tax/free ship/no core charge/3-year 100,000 mile warranty. You get to keep the old engine and a REALLY nice engine shipping container. Jegs is the only one that does not charge for a core on this engine.

Here is the warranty. http://www.jegs.com/customerservice/GM_Warranty.pdf

If you install it yourself, you don't get a labor warranty but you do get the parts warranty going back through Jegs. I installed mine myself. Need to pay attention to replacing radiator with new and documenting it for the warranty.

Contrary to what they say on the Jegs web site, the engine even comes with GM oil pump, choice of 2 oil pump pickups, and GM timing cover. Has the timing chain tensioner upgrade.

ps. nothing special about a ZR2 engine that I am aware of.

Last edited by LesMyer; 11-11-2016 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-11-2016, 12:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

My opinion, if you are going with reconditioned anything, I would rather see the bottom end be reconditioned and reuse your cylinder heads after having them checked and possibly lapping the valves. But a full long block should result in the best life expectancy.

Old 11-12-2016, 04:19 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks a Ton Fellas!