Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Engine idles fine, but stalls when revving up to 18K RPM

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 05:22 PM
drodr05 is on a distinguished road
Default Engine idles fine, but stalls when revving up to 18K RPM

Hi all. Hope there is someone here that can point me in the right direction.

Have a 96 Olds Bravada. Had an issue with the front drive shaft, bearings broke on rear of that shaft and took a small bite out of the transmission pan. It just hit the flange. Got all that taken care of.

But when I got it put back together, I started to have issues with the engine. I could start it, but when I would rev up the engine to around 2k RPM the engine would stall. As soon as I would let off the gas, it would idle just fine.

I have changed out all of the sensors, spark plugs and plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, as well as the idle air actuator and throttle position sensor. After reading some posts on here, I am wondering if it could be the catalytic converter.

I have a scanner, but I don't see any error codes coming up. If I attempt to rev the engine, and it gets to around 2k RPM, it sounds like it is missing. If I keep my foot on the gas, the engine burns more gas, just to keep up it at that RPM Range. When I take the air intake off the throttle body, the engine wants to die. This happens without me accelerating.

Any ideas?

Old 12-09-2010, 06:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You can check to see if the catalytic converter is clogged by removing the O2 sensor just ahead of the catalytic converter and taking it for a drive. If the problem persists, the catalytic converter is likely not the source.

I would also recommend getting a fuel pressure gauge and seeing what the fuel pressure does once you hit 2000RPM.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:57 AM
Default re: Can't rev past 18k RPM

Just to let you know, I have already changed out the fuel filter and the fuel pump.

Thought it was the fuel pump as the pressure was low, but now, the pressure is at 60psi when I turn the key over and hear it run.

Let me try the O2 Sensor check. But, let me understand, it is the O2 Sensor in 'front' of the converter. And if I remove that and attempt to rev up, and it still happens, then I have eliminated the converter, right?

And if I have eliminated the converter, what would I check, next?

Old 12-10-2010, 08:49 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

By removing the O2 sensor, you open up an escape path for the exhaust to get out rather than flowing through a potentially restricted catalytic converter. You have 4 sensors in total. The O2 sensor will be just ahead of the catalytic converter towards the front of the truck.

As far as what to check next, you could have a problem with your ignition system. You could have the ICM & Coil tested...

Old 12-10-2010, 09:00 AM
Default re: Can't rev past 18k RPM

Already replaced those, too. I have replaced all sensors, actuators, except for the sensor under the distributor.

Let me try that, the O2 Sensor. Heading to Harbor Freight and Tool to get the tool to remove the sensor.

Now, correct me if I am wrong, but don't I need to run the engine a bit to warm up the exhaust pipe before removing the sensor? I remember reading that somewhere. Does that hold true in this case?