Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Engine mount

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 03:28 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road
Default Engine mount

This post is really straitforward. I bought an engine mount today to replace my FUBARed one. I need to know whats involved in changing it so I won't look like an idiot when I change it at school friday.

Old 09-26-2007, 05:11 PM
aris_unlimited is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Engine mount

I would suggest buying a haynes manual. That should get you pretty detailed instructions on what you need to do.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:59 PM
BF Veteran

Well, a manual would be nice, but I can't get one between now and Friday. Basically all I need to know is whether I need to have a hoist handy and if there may be anything in the way of taking it out.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:54 AM
aris_unlimited is an unknown quantity at this point

straight from the haynes manual

Replacement

-disconnect the negative battery cable from thebattery, then raise the the vehicle and support it on jack stands. Caution on models equipped with a delco loc II audio system, be sure the lockout feature is turned off before performing any procedure which requires disconnecting the cattery.

-attach an engine hoist to the top of the engine for lifting, do not use a jack under the oild pan or the oil pump pick up could be damamged

-raise the engine slightly, then remove the through-bolt nuts and withdraw the mount through-bolt from the frame bracket. Raise the engine further until the engine mount can be unbolted from the block.

-Installation is the reverse of removal. Use loctite on the mount bolts and be sure to tighten them securely.

Having never personally done this before, I would also suggest keeping an eye on wiring and vacuum lines in the engine bay to make sure that they don't get pulled on to hard.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:36 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

And...think about it. What's worse-looking like an idiot, or being an idiot and messing things up worse than they already are? If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, swallow some pride and take it someone who does. BTW, how'd it get FUBAR'd in the first place? Normal wear and tear?

Old 09-27-2007, 02:38 PM
BF Veteran

Thanks for the instructions aris-unlimited!

I'm comfortable with doing itmyself. I just don't like asking our instructorhow to do things... I'd rather have a base knowledge of how to do it beforehand.

I think its just a weak part from the factory, I've never donemuch powerbraking with it. Just broke when I took off from a dead stop uphill.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:21 PM
RCars2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmm, i understand where the haynes manual is covering their butts on not jacking up on the oil pan but i just put a piece of a 2x4 on my floor jack and put it under the sump and jacked it up. Didnt damage anything. As for getting that sucker out, oh boy, you are in for some fun. You absolutely need a set of deep well metric sockets, a set of metric wrenches, and a couple really long socket rachet extensions. On top of that its a tight area to work in so its just that much more challenging.

Theseare the steps i went through. Support the engine block with a lift or if you are so inclined go with the jack underneath. Place a wrench on the nut of the through bolt and take a socket with a long extension and snake it through from the front of the engine bay to the bolt and remove the bolt. Next jack up the engine just a touch more and you will get easier access to three bolts holding the mount to the block (two visible from the top, one not so visable from the bottom, might have to remove plastic skid to get better access to the bottom one). Remove these with deep well sockets and it should drop right out for the most part. Replace and reverse the proceedure and you should be golden.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:50 PM
BF Veteran

YAY.. finally got the lift at school open for tomorrow, so I should have it changed come hell or high water.