Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

engine problem, ECM, fuel, desperate! ;)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 08:51 AM
MikeZapp is on a distinguished road
Default engine problem, ECM, fuel, desperate! ;)

Hi guys,

this is truly an awesome forum! I'm writing to you from Germany, a little desperate I gotta say. My 98 Blazer S10 ZR 2 has an issue with - it seems - the electronic control module. Fuel seems to enter this black box just above the engine and the cap is not really closing anymore. The engine seems to not get enough fuel and constantly fails. Mechanics here are not really familiar with this engine and I'm struggling to find info on this. I'm not even sure it is the ECM that needs a fix. I'm talking about this Y-shaped black box as you can see in the pics. Does anybody know what this is or has anybody had similar issues.THANKS! Mike

Old 04-26-2021, 10:13 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

This is what that Y-shaped black box plugs into (inside the intake plenum). It's an electrical connector for the fuel injectors. Fuel goes into one of the holes in front, the other is a return to the tank from the internal pressure regulator.

1. Check Fuel Pressure with a gauge that screws onto the Schrader valve in the fuel line near the distributor
2. Check for electrical pulses at the injector harness connectors (disconnect Y-connector) with a noid light.

Good luck

Old 04-27-2021, 03:09 AM

Thanks so much. So, it looks like fuel is leaking from this module and I can't get the rubber seal anywhere. Do you have any idea how to seal this?

Old 04-27-2021, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by MikeZapp
Thanks so much. So, it looks like fuel is leaking from this module and I can't get the rubber seal anywhere. Do you have any idea how to seal this?
which seal?

Old 04-27-2021, 05:59 AM

in my pic it is the blue rubber. band, in yours looks like a red rubber band

Old 04-27-2021, 08:45 PM

that seal comes with the intake plenum gasket set. Coat it with vaseline before installing the plenum. This seal only seals intake vacuum, not fuel.

Old 04-27-2021, 08:46 PM

that seal comes with the intake plenum gasket set (Felpro). Coat it with vaseline before installing the plenum. This seal only seals intake vacuum, not fuel.

Old 04-28-2021, 02:27 AM

ok, I was wrong I meant the rubber that closes the cap of the control module. The cap doesn't close anymore and fuel is leaking from this y shaped module. We've tried to push it and keep it down with a metal string but that doesn't work. Do I have to replace the entire injection system or is there a way to only replace the cap or upper electronic module sitting on the injection unit? Which would be much more expensive and which seems to work fine. It is basically the black plastic cap that is broken so fuel leaks and pressure is lost making the engine fail.

Old 04-28-2021, 07:32 AM

If fuel is actually coming out from under the plastic cap, then the spider assembly has a big failure. The y-shaped module/cap is really only a dust cap to cover the electrical connector that plugs into the top of the fuel injector assembly.

If this is truly where fuel is leaking from, the injector spider assembly will need to be replaced as that part does not come separately.

Old 04-29-2021, 03:56 AM

got it, it looks like they sell the spider housing separately, so I'll try this first before replacing the entire assembly. Thanks a lot man!