Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

engine temp near critical. anything else?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 03:40 PM
Blue thunder 2000 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation engine temp near critical. anything else?

hey guys. finally ran into the first big issue with the truck. i knew everything was going to well.... well anyways i was trying to find a parking space for my first day of college and parking was heck in a hamster bag. and along doing that i look in my instrument panel and see the "check gauges light on"(at least i know it works!) and i see my temp is near critical. i finally find space to pull over in a nearby lot and let it cool down. there were three cops that passed by me and didn't even stop to see if everything was okay. really puts hope in my heart about local law enforcement but long story short one of the hoses had holes in them causing coolant to go everywhere making the truck temp go through the roof. my dad knew a guy at the car dealership nearby and they figured out that it was the hose. sooo, all that aside here is my question. im getting new hoses but would would that incident possibly cause any other issues down the road?

Old 08-20-2012, 04:32 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I would not worry about it too much, I have had coolant spray all over the place under the hood on other cars and nothing happened, the only thing I would check is your belt, coolant is slippery as heck

Old 08-20-2012, 05:46 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

If the truck gets to a certain temp I'm pretty sure the PCM or BCM would shut it off to protect it.
I'd check the oil & trans fluid because both are also cooled by the rad. See their condition, smell them to see if either has a burnt smell & if so change it right away.
I don't know if you have a CAI but if you do clean the filter as well.
It having a leaky hose I know would eventually cause the engine to over heat but was it over heating before the leaks & the heat/excess pressure caused the leaks?!
If so then why did it get that hot, air bubble, low on coolant, bad water pump, belt, blockage in the system?

Old 08-20-2012, 07:33 PM
Blue thunder 2000 is on a distinguished road

i just changed the oil maybe 500 miles ago. the trans fluid im not so sure about.
and it was fine before the leak. it always ran good. still does. dad grabbed some new hoses that we will put in this weekend, until then we cut away the bad part of the hose and stuck it back on. i just dont know what would cause the tube to give out like that. maybe just regular heat over time just was to much for it? dads buddy who helped me out told me its fairly regular for hoses to give out around that mileage? im not sure if those were originals or not.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:45 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

I had a heater core hose pop a tiny hole a few weeks ago, it was original & about 80,000 miles on it. Probably more the age than miles in my case though.