Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

engine whining

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 02:42 AM
iceflames11 is on a distinguished road
Default engine whining

Hopefully someone could help me out with this and hopefully its nothing. Anyways, there is a whining noise coming from the truck. From inside the truck it sounds like its coming from the engine compartment. With the windows down, its sounds like it is coming from underneath. The sound is high pitched and only happens when accelerating. At idle and in gear it is quieter, and you really have to listen to hear it. When in neutral there is nothing, even when hitting the gas. I searched the site and come up with the alternator. Mine was just replaced less than a year ago. I also come up with transmission problems, but i'm hoping its not that. Hope I gave enough info.

Old 03-05-2007, 04:20 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: engine whining

If there is no sound in neutral, then I would say that the sun cluster gears are wearing out. Start with a trans filter change they need to be change at 20-30K intervals...then get the computer scanned to see if there are any codes saying that the tranny is slipping etc...or a solenoid is not functioning...could be torque converter clutch or front pump in the tranny at this point only a trusted transmission shop could give you a definate answer...

Old 03-05-2007, 04:36 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

I know you said it doesn't make the sound when it's in neutral, even when on the gas, but...

I recently took off my small air horn assembly b/c the radio was picking up interference from the wiring whether the radio was on or not. It was a high pitched whine that almost sounded like a supercharger. It was a cheap kit so I didn't bother rewiring.

I'm not saying this is your problem, just offering a suggestion based on my experience-do you have any accessories with bad grounds/wiring?

Old 03-05-2007, 06:36 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll have to get that stuff checked out. I know its not coming from the stereo/speakers cause you can hear it from the outside. But thanks for the suggestions.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:00 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Does it change pitch when you turn the wheels? Or when you turn on your A/C?

If you can, maybe try and record a sound clip of it... Whine's are hard to track without hearing what flavour it is, lol

Old 03-06-2007, 12:57 AM

The pitch is the same when I turn the wheel or not. Havent run the A/C though cause its 14 degrees here. I dont havea recording device, but it kinda sounds like a supercharger whine.

Old 03-06-2007, 07:35 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Then it's either alternator, power steering pump,or transmission...

Check your transmission fluid...

Old 03-06-2007, 12:40 PM

The alternator was replaced less than a year ago but I"ll go get it checked anyways since I'm hoping thats what it is. The tranny fluid still has a pinkish tint to it so I'm sure it needs to get replaced, but there is no burnt smell (I've heard that is bad).

Old 03-06-2007, 04:55 PM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

It could also be the Ideler pully for the serp. belt. Not the one with the spring to it next too the alternator, but the one below the alternator.

Edit:

To rule out any pullys, remove the serp. belt, start engine and run it see if you hear it. Don't run it this way for long due to it will start to throw codes. Then you will know if its trany related or pully.

Old 03-06-2007, 05:15 PM
BlazerMan85 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: MNHawk

It could also be the Ideler pully for the serp. belt. Not the one with the spring to it next too the alternator, but the one below the alternator.

Edit:

To rule out any pullys, remove the serp. belt, start engine and run it see if you hear it. Don't run it this way for long due to it will start to throw codes. Then you will know if its trany related or pully.
Codes would be your least worry, it'll overheat cause the water pump won't be spinning...

Quick Reply: engine whining