Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Exhaust Leak+replacing Starter

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 05:04 PM
CodyT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Exhaust Leak+replacing Starter

Ok people I've had this problem where after I ran my 93' S-10 for lets say 15+ minutes or 10+ miles when I turned it off it would have real trouble turning over. Now when I bought the truck the lady told me it had an exhaust leak, which I could hear, but that it was somewhere in the pipe itself. Now lets say that it wasn't in the pipe, that it was the manifold to pipe gasket, could that have caused my starter to overheat thereby locking it up until it cooled down? If it wasn't for the fact that it only happened when I had run the truck for a while I would think that it was just a faulty starter. Also is there a way that I can figure out where the leak is w/o turning the truck on? It'd be very helpful for me to be able to do that w/o having to install the new starter, as my current is completley shot. Thanks for any help in advance and if anything I said dosen't make sense please let me know, I have a tendancy for that to happen when I'm talking about anything technical with cars. ^^

Old 03-18-2008, 01:02 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Exhaust Leak+replacing Starter

I guess it could be possible that you are over heating the solenoid on the top of the starter... But if that is the case, I would be worried about the wires that go down to the starter as well if that were the case.

I guess I would start by replacing the exhaust 'donut' first and then see how everything else changes once that repair is complete.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:35 PM
Dturner14 is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as the starter if its still good try going to a auto parts store and getting a heat shield for the starter and see if that help. I know I have had the same problem on a few cars Ive owned in the past and that has solved the problem.

The leak I would look for it while its running, No use in putting money into something that might be or might not be the problem. Just let it be cool (like morning) start it up run hadn around the exhaust. So you dont burn yourself when It starts heating up wear a grove and listen for the changes in the sound and if you put your hand over the spot it will muffle the sound and you have your leak.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:48 PM

Yea I've gotten a heat shield for the Solenoid as well as a brand new Remaned starter. Tomorrow afternoon I'm going to put both on and see if that fix'es my problem. After that I'll worry about fixing that exhaust leak. I do have another question though, do they sell something like a heatshield tape that I can buy so that I can wrap the wires that go into my solenoid? Thanks for all the help by the way guys.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:31 PM

Allright guys and gals here's an update. Tried bumping starter before puting new one on: didn't work. Tested the voltage regulator: good to go. Replaced starter(not fun...dang t case):Starts/runs better than before. Thanks for all the help guys.