Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

filters cone or not

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 11:53 AM
4321chris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default filters cone or not

hello i have a k&n air filter in my blazer now but i was wondering about the difference between box filter or the cone filter is one better than the other i have the box filter now should i upgrade thank you.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:58 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: filters cone or not

Chris, welcome to the forum! We need to know the year, make, and model of your truck. If you're using a drop-in K&N filter in your stock airbox, that's really all you can fit. I can't imagine fitting a cone filter in the stock airbox. Generally, the more air that gets to the engine, the better. I'm not sure of the surface area between the box and cone filters. If you go with the cone filter, you're most likely going to have to upgrade your intake as well. Don't forget a heatshield if you go that route.

But again, we need to know what you're working with here.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:02 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

What year and engine are you working with? To make it easier, put your vehicle info in your signature (done through the my profile section at the top of the page) and attach it to all your posts.

TripleBlack beat me to it!

If you're looking at an entire cold air intake kit (or FIPK), youre looking at 250 some dollars to make it sound a bit better. I'd stick with the k&n drop in.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:06 PM

sorry 1999 4.3 vortec v6 4x4

Old 02-17-2008, 12:09 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Thanks! With the newer-ish engines like yours, the best benefit is smoother airflow, which leads to better sound, and mayyybee a bit increase in power. The only problem is that you'd be upgrading the front air flow, but without and exhaust upgrade, you not getting any better flow through the whole system, so youre still limited.

Also one danger with the reusable cone filters is the re-oiling. If you over oil, the oil will suck through and plaster your MAF...and MAFs don't like a nice film of oil over them

I know there's a good few members on here that have the K&N kit, as well as custom made ones for much less $$. Hopefully they'll chime in here soon!

Old 02-17-2008, 12:19 PM

now that you say the oil can get on the mass air flow sensor i think that happend to mine a mechanic told me to use carb cleaner on it and onther told me to use electric cleaner on it but it has been acting funny here latly so mayby its time for another one and i didnt know what the signiture was but now i do thank very much.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Electrical cleaner or MAF specific cleaner will work to clean the MAF.

On the filter. Anything that reduces restriction while keeping the intake air temps as close to outside air temp will benefit any engine. The problem with most of the intakes available is the lack of proper, sealed heat sheilding. If you suck in underhood air, that defeats the entire purpose.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:04 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

if you're in the market for CAI's. the AEM Brute Force has a filter with nearly twice the surface area of a K&N FIPK, not to mention a better filter too.

you can get the FIPK on ebay for a tad over $200 including shipping.