Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

fouled

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 01:26 PM
eddiegreeny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default fouled

i havea 94 chevy vortex. i just changed the plugs last week was running fine. now its runing the same way it did b4 i changed them. my gas guage doest work so ive been going by mileage. i get 280 on a full tank. i ran out at 137 miles. i smell gas from the exhaust. the plugs where white on the drivers side and black on the pass. ihave no clue i need help.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:22 PM
countryguy1713 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: fouled

I am having the same problem with mine. ive changed my fuel filter, plugs and wires, distributer cap and rotor, and it still fouls the plugs on the passenger side

Somebody told me to check my fuel pressure, i havent got around to doing that yet but u might try doing that

Old 03-06-2008, 02:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would start with a fuel pressure test, specifically the leak down after you have cycled the key on, waited for the pump to shut off, then turned the key off, watching the pressure. If it drops, you have a fuel leak, mostlikely internal to the plenum and probably caused by a faulty fuel pressure regulator (FPR).

Old 03-06-2008, 09:27 PM

Ok but what pressure guage do u watch or do u have to buy a fuel pressure guage?

Old 03-06-2008, 09:32 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

You have to get a fuel pressure gauge and check at the connections on the driver side of the motor near the firewall, PSI should be between 55-60 psi.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:06 AM
eddiegreeny is an unknown quantity at this point

has anyone ever changed the spider. i have 3 different people telling me things. spider cuz my oil smells like gas, mass air flow sensor code came up at 33 showing low vacum. i had one mechanic tell that the fpr never goes bad,one telling me that they always do. stumped about to sell the damn thing. i paid 3400 for it and put in over a grand in it.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Please take our advice. CHECK YOUR FUEL PRESSURE! No need to speculate without that vital information. A fuel pressure gauge shouldn't cost you more than $30 at your favorite autoparts store. If you either do not want to buy a pressure gauge or are unsure of how to go about testing it, ASK! The other thing you can do, which is more labor intensive but will work, is to pull off the upper plenum and actually look for leaks. I am suspecting that the passenger side of the lower plenum will have puddles of fuel. This would be a result of a FPR failure. If the driver's side has fuel contamination in it, then this is a sign of a leak in the 'nut kit' (internal fuel lines).

And the mechanic that said that the FPRs never go bad has no clue. MANY people here have replaced the CPI spider (check out Lindertech.com - their kit comes with the updated FPR and all gaskets) and many more have replaced the FPR. If you remove the spider for any reason, you better plan on having a new 'nut kit' on hand to install. These lines do not like to be removed and reassembled, quite often resulting in another fuel leak.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:51 PM
TrammelZ28 is an unknown quantity at this point

mine was doing the same thing, it turned out to be the FPR. i would def. try testing the fuel pressure before you sell it over a cheap part

Old 03-09-2008, 07:17 PM

Is there any other way of getting ur fuel pressure tested besides buyinga fuel pressure guage?

and where is the FPR located at

Old 03-10-2008, 05:54 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

As far as testing your fuel pressure, buying or borrowing a tester is the only way to test it!!

Quick Reply: fouled