Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Frustrating Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 08:40 PM
Beginning Member
Clyde is on a distinguished road
Default Frustrating Problem

Thanks for taking the time to look at this. I have a 95 s10 blazer 2d 4x4 4.3L. The problem I'm having is i start up the truck at the start of the day and it cranks right up and runs good. I start to drive to work and after about 5 mins of driving it will start to buck and then it will start heaving and then will stall. If I crank on it, it will start eventually, run like pure **** and maybe drive a hundred yards down the road and then die and I have to fight with it to get it to start again. I've replaced the fuel filter and am doing plugs, rotor button, caps, and wires tomorrow and will be looking around for any possible causes. Any hint in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I did some searching but didn't find anything too specific to my situation. I found some similar stories pointing towards the fuel pressure regulator but I don't get why it would only act up after I drive the truck for a few mins.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:41 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

I'm not too familiar with 95's but it has to be something associated to when it warms up the engine starts to act up, low idle speed issue, fuel delivery, egr, plugged cat perhaps?! I'm just guessing & tossing ideas out... could even be a vacuum line that gets warmed up, softens & allows vacuum to be lost.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:48 PM
Starting Member
CenTexBiker is on a distinguished road

first thing I would check:
fuel pressure (could act up after it warms up)
if pressure is low, check pressure before and after regulator

low idle speed would not cause it to be a hard start, it just would not say running

check egr for it being clogged
pcv valve shake it, if it doesn't rattle it is clogged)

that should start you. keep us informed

Old 10-18-2011, 11:00 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

I was thinking of what would cause a low idle, a low idle would cause a hard start = both lead to it not being able to keep itself running after it warms up is all.
Fuel filter on a 2nd gen is along the frame (not sure for a '95) so that shouldn't be an issue, maybe the fuel pump is crapping out.
Does it have those issues when you have over 1/2 a tank of gas or less than?
Our blazers' fuel pumps are cooled by the gas, that leads to them having issues with the pumps, especially around & under 1/4 tank.
Do '95's have a MAF? SOOOOOO many issues are caused by a dirty MAF it's crazy.
Temp sensors in the intake as well.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:01 AM
Beginning Member

I looked and the 95's have a map sensor instead of a maf. Another thing i may have forgot to mention is I bought the truck about a week ago and when I went to look at it it wouldn't start because they had ran it out of gas. I have seen situations where people have run their cars out of fuel and the pump goes out shortly because as Rottidog stated the pumps are cooled by the fuel. I just want to try and make sure before I drop 100 bucks on a new pump

Old 10-19-2011, 10:53 AM
Starting Member
CenTexBiker is on a distinguished road

100 dollars for a pump is cheap....many chinese made after markets are not worth crap

so did you check the things that I pointed out, Clyde?

Old 10-21-2011, 07:02 PM
Beginning Member

yeah i checked those out and everything was in order but I'm pretty sure its the fuel pump. So I dropped the tank and installed a new one. Had the tank almost back into the truck and 1 fuel line left to connect and the tank slipped off the jack and broke one of the metal lines off of the sending unit. I ordered another one of those and will install it tomorrow and see what happens.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:46 PM
Starting Member
trucktom is on a distinguished road

id go with ect sensor or egr. when it does this does brake pedal get hard? like no boost? of so most likely egr. coolant temp sensor if its cpi in next to thermostat, or if new style drivers side head by firewall above rearmost spark plug. check with scanner or ohm meter. if meter says OL its bad and is telling comp its 40 below out dumping fuel down its throat. let us know. also if is the old style vortec with the aluminum plenum or new w plastic, seen both this year so we can help better

Old 10-23-2011, 02:57 PM
Beginning Member

Well i put in the pump and it ran a hell of a lot better than it did but it still does the same thing. I checked the egr hole and it was almost spotless. But I also saw this when I pulled the upper plenum.

So I'm guessing my fuel pressure regulator is the culprit here?

Old 10-23-2011, 02:59 PM
Beginning Member

it does smell like gas when I got up in there and it's night and day compared to how dirty the other side is.

Quick Reply: Frustrating Problem