Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Fuel injectors

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 05:00 PM
Ryan D is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel injectors

hello everyone

I have a 1996 Blazer with the 4.3 vortec v6 and 185,XXX miles I've only had it a few months when I bought it it wouldn't start. So I did a tune-up plugs,cap, rotor and now it starts and runs but idles rough and is a little low on power. The check engine light is on as well (intermittent engine miss) I have cleaned out the throttle body the best I could without removing it,and it seemed to help a little.

so now I want to go "all in" and tear apart the fuel injecters and see if I can either clean them or check for leaks. I was looking for any pointers on tearing this apart. and triying to see how difficult this will be.

Thanks for any advice

PS my third brake light is out does that have to be replaced as a whole unit or are there serviceable bulbs

Old 11-25-2009, 05:45 PM
Starting Member
tazz9690 is on a distinguished road

I have an 02 and it had poppet nozzles. I don't know if you can clean them, but one of mine was broken and I just ended up dishing out the 300 bucks and bought actual injectors and did the conversion cspi to mpi. Everything is pretty simple. Just when you are taking off the cruise control cable, that e-clip tends to just pop out and you lose it so I suggest that you put like a rag behind it so if it does fly off, it will fall in front of the engine, and not in the back like mine did, which I never could find again. You are going to have to pull the upper plenum, so a new gasket will be needed. It's not really all that difficult, just remember to torque it down to specs and and what not.

I read that if you try to remove the poppet nozzles from the meter body that it's attached to, it ruins the o-ring seal and it will just be prone for it to leak if it was not before.

Have you checked your compression? Also have you checked the condition of the actual distributor itself?

Old 11-25-2009, 07:16 PM
Ryan D is on a distinguished road

Hey Taz thanks for the response I haven't checked for any wear in the distributor, how would I tell. the shaft did seem tight when I installed the new rotor but that was all I checked.

Do the symptoms I described sound like an injector/Fuel problem??

This thing does run fair I drive it everyday I would just like to get it running a little better.

I also had a 1998 S-10 pickup with a 4.3 vortec with about 190,XXX but it was a 5 Speed and it had a TON of power and thats what I'm comparing it too
would the difference in the couple of years, the extra weight and the automatic make a huge power difference??

Old 11-25-2009, 07:29 PM
Starting Member
tazz9690 is on a distinguished road

for a distributor, you pull it out, check the gear for a lot of wear or abnormal wear. See if the shaft is is out of round. Check the play of the shaft bushing in all directions.

It could be a fuel problem; injectors that are clogged and are starting to give out. It could also be a lot of other things. Have you replaced your fuel filter? Do you know which cylinders are missing? If you have access to a decent scan tool with live data, you can check injector pulse width and your fuel trims and stuff like that.

How is your fuel pressure? Having a 5 speed would give you more power than a 4 speed automatic. I don't know about a ton more, but a S-10 is a little truck and a blazer does have a lot more weight too it, so it might be the difference you are feeling.

You should also check to make sure that you don't have any vacuum leaks. Also, cleaning your MAF wouldn't hurt.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:00 AM
Beginning Member
Tbiggs is on a distinguished road
Default Help asap!!

Hey guys,
im looking for some help asap because i need to get this fixed its my everyday driver.
i just bought new injecters, before i start to do the work anyone have any pointers of info i could use? ive only seen a video on youtube of a guy doing in in his astro van haha, please i need more help here.
also does anyone know.... will i need any new gaskets to do this... if so what ones?
give me an email ( tybigos@yahoo.com ) as soon as u can
a helping list from someone whos done theres before would be great!!!

thanks
ty
2000 ZR2 4.3 Blazer
4x4