Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 05:27 PM
Starting Member
bdemutis is on a distinguished road
Default fuel pump?

My driveway is on a hill when I backed up it and parked my 96 blazer facing downhill. I came out the next morning tried starting it and it didn't want to start so I coasted it to flat ground and it started this is the second time this happened. I normally pull in facing uphill so the gas tank is downhill. Could this be because my fuel pump is going bad my gas gauge also works sometimes and other times doesn't.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:30 PM
Beginning Member
kcb37 is on a distinguished road

If it only does it when you back in it's probably the fuel just running forward in the tank away from the pickup.
The fuel guage could be the sending unit in the tank wore out, or a bad connection.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:04 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by kcb37
If it only does it when you back in it's probably the fuel just running forward in the tank away from the pickup.
The fuel guage could be the sending unit in the tank wore out, or a bad connection.
But that wouldn't make any sense that would be a design flaw and all blazers wouldn't be able to park on a hill facing down or they wouldn't be able to start lol.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:16 PM
Beginning Member
kcb37 is on a distinguished road

Yes and no.
Not all parts are quite equal. It may be that your guage reads a bit high when close to empty.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:11 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by kcb37
Yes and no.
Not all parts are quite equal. It may be that your guage reads a bit high when close to empty.
No my gauge only read a quater tank when o had a full tank when I first bought it. We stopped to fill it up and gas started pouring out. Then recently the gauge stopped working all together and now it just turned on and reads quarter again.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:54 PM
Beginning Member
bigbrody is on a distinguished road

my 2002 blazer does the same thing.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:54 PM
4X4GS10B is on a distinguished road

Every time I've had them do this the pump has failed in a year or less, yours could be different but I wouldn't bet on it. Sorry about the doom and gloom but it's a common thing just remember AC delco or Delphi assemblies only, all others tend to fail quickly, welcome to the club we all have either done it or are soon to do it... Good luck & have patience...

Old 03-17-2013, 09:31 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by 4X4GS10B
Every time I've had them do this the pump has failed in a year or less, yours could be different but I wouldn't bet on it. Sorry about the doom and gloom but it's a common thing just remember AC delco or Delphi assemblies only, all others tend to fail quickly, welcome to the club we all have either done it or are soon to do it... Good luck & have patience...
Shouldnt be that hard already replaced the spider and coolant pump ofcourse a new problem lol.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:37 PM
Beginning Member
MBunk_007 is on a distinguished road

Just yesterday my '96 Blazer started having the same problem. It will refuse to start if it has been sitting over night. I park on a hill with the Blazer facing down it (gas tank up higher than the engine). It starts just fine if I get it on level ground. Gonna try to find a spot tonight facing uphill, see if that changes anything.

If it is my fuel pump that needs replacing, is there anything else I should replace/change while I'm at it? Also, any particular parts stores/online shops you guys recommend for purchasing parts from? I have a NAPA just down the road that I normally go to, but they occasionally can't get everything I need. Just curious as to what else is out there. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:40 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MBunk_007
Also, any particular parts stores/online shops you guys recommend for purchasing parts from? I have a NAPA just down the road that I normally go to, but they occasionally can't get everything I need. Just curious as to what else is out there. Thanks for the help.
Check out rockauto.com. They are usually much cheaper than the chain stores, and have better selection.

Quick Reply: fuel pump?