Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 10:19 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by cleburne red
Check out rockauto.com. They are usually much cheaper than the chain stores, and have better selection.
That is where I got my pump from, even with 2 day shipping I still saved about 100$

Old 03-21-2013, 01:36 PM
Starting Member
bdemutis is on a distinguished road

Check out rockauto.com. They are usually much cheaper than the chain stores, and have better selection.
Alright will do and also could it just be the sender module it has good fuel pressure I did a fuel pressure test on it before replacing my spider and the fuel pressure holds steady at 58. Also I might get one from ebay there is a company in Florida that makes exact fit for $60.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:37 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bdemutis
Also I might get one from ebay there is a company in Florida that makes exact fit for $60.

Is that the pump or sending unit? I wouldn't trust a $60 ebay pump, unless you just really like dropping the tank. Delco or Delphi for sure. The sending unit, you can afford to gamble with a cheapo one. That's what I did. delco pump, cheap sending unit. I couldn't afford delco/Delphi for both, and I figured the pump was the more critical of the two. If something on the sending unit fails, I'm just out a gas gauge for awhile.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:00 AM
Starting Member

Is that the pump or sending unit? I wouldn't trust a $60 ebay pump, unless you just really like dropping the tank. Delco or Delphi for sure. The sending unit, you can afford to gamble with a cheapo one. That's what I did. delco pump, cheap sending unit. I couldn't afford delco/Delphi for both, and I figured the pump was the more critical of the two. If something on the sending unit fails, I'm just out a gas gauge for awhile.
Well thats whats wrong with mine and I do actually like work on it lol. The gas gauge is on and off and and I cant park facing down hill so is it just the sending unit?

Old 03-22-2013, 05:14 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

As far as the gas gauge, I would believe that to be sending unit related. Once you get it out, I think you can check it with a volt meter while manipulating the float and see if it's working properly.

As far as parking downhill/uphill, that's a new one on me. The pump is in the rear of the gas tank, but it has some baffling built into the tank to help keep the pump submerged all the time. Will it start facing downhill with a full tank, or does it only happen when you're close to empty?

Originally Posted by bdemutis
Well thats whats wrong with mine and I do actually like work on it lol.
I like working on mine too, what I don't like is buying the same part more than once because my eBay special took a dump on me six months later. I also don't like missing work or being stranded because of it.

Some things you can go cheap on. I like cheap, too. But sometimes you get what you pay for, and fuel pumps for these trucks seem to be one of those items.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:46 AM
Starting Member

As far as the gas gauge, I would believe that to be sending unit related. Once you get it out, I think you can check it with a volt meter while manipulating the float and see if it's working properly.

As far as parking downhill/uphill, that's a new one on me. The pump is in the rear of the gas tank, but it has some baffling built into the tank to help keep the pump submerged all the time. Will it start facing downhill with a full tank, or does it only happen when you're close to empty?

I like working on mine too, what I don't like is buying the same part more than once because my eBay special took a dump on me six months later. I also don't like missing work or being stranded because of it.

Some things you can go cheap on. I like cheap, too. But sometimes you get what you pay for, and fuel pumps for these trucks seem to be one of those items.
See I can't even tell where my tank is because the gauge works once in a blue moon and when I have a full tank it reads half tank. Also I checked the fuel pressure it's good it holds steady at 58 and when I turn the key it goes to 60-61 I think the pumpes good. But I have a feeling it's the sending unit due to the fact the gauge works once in awhile and it's off. The only reason I knew it had a full tank my dad went to fill it and the pump shut off so he backed the nozzle out alittle and pumped and the tank over flowed all over lol.