Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Fuel Pump Replacement 4.3 4 Door

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 01:07 PM
newblazerguy is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel Pump Replacement 4.3 4 Door

Hello,..can anyone help me out with a "How To" diagram on replacing the fuel pump in a 4 door, 4.3 L, 2002 blazer. Very hard to start in the morning. I put the key in and turn on---not over...to cycle the pump...have to do this 5 or so times before it will actuall start...seems to start easier once warmed up..and throughout the day. Morning starts are brutal. Uncle used to be a mechanic...says replace the pump. Vehicle has 150k miles. Please advise. Thanks.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:17 PM
reelbroke2 is on a distinguished road

You have to have 60 psi for it to start properly, The fuel pump is in the tank and has to be dropped down to get to it.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:14 PM
RockT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default fuel pump

Where is fuel pump on 1996 4.3 4 door?

tim

Old 08-26-2009, 02:33 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

In the fuel tank.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:55 PM
archangel is on a distinguished road

Hello newblazerguy,

I have replaced my fuel pump few times ago. Here's how to do :
- lift the rear of the car (don't forget to secure the car when it is "up" with some wedges).
- remove the left rear wheel (it will be usefull ...)
- remove the protective plate under the fuel tank.
- put a floor jack with a piece of plank under the fuel tank
- the fuel tank is maintained on the car with two straps. Remove the bolts.
- start to slowly lift down the fuel tank with the floor jack.
- when it's possible, from the left rear wheel emplacement, unplug the fuel lines and wires from the top of the fuel tank (rear). To unplug the fuel lines, you must "pinch" both side of the "plug". There's also a pipe on the front of the tank.
- Lift down the tank and pull it from the right side of the car.
That's all !!! Now you can easily remove and change your fuel pump.
Be very careful, don't forget that it is a fuel tank !!!

Hope it can help you.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:27 AM

Thanks Archangel,...very helpful...I will be doing this project this weekend.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:51 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

Have you done a fuel pressure test/leakdown. You could have leaking spider in your intake manifold. Before assuming it is the pump I would get the fuel pressure checked. From reading these threads pressure should be 60 PSI with Key on and engine off and not leak down. Someone correct me if I am wrong on the pressures.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:47 AM

Sooo....bought a fuel pump..but then had access to pressure guage test...read 60 psi but slowly and steadily dropped to around 50 in about 3 minutes. Went and bought a FPR and installed. Still had starting problems. Next up is the fuel pump I guess. How to check if spider is leaking? When I had the intake valve off there was copperish color soot and wet towards the back.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:31 PM
Mitche is on a distinguished road

I'm having the same problem I'm thinking about replacing the fuel pump myself as I know it is bad (has been making noise now for over a year and now just doesn't come on at all) anyways I'm not sure of the connectors on the fuel pump itself. Are they the ones where you just pinch them like on the fuel filter or do you need a special tool.

I have the new pump and it has O ring like things on it as if they are stops for the fuel line like when you use rubber hose and hose clamps.

Do you know anything about these???

Thanks in advance,

Mitch

Old 09-11-2009, 03:51 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

newblazerguy,
Did you ever use the diagnostic steps in 96+ Fuel System Diagnosis to help pinpoint the source of your fuel problem? They are immensely helpful.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Replacement 4.3 4 Door