Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Fuel System Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 10:38 AM
Starting Member
BlazinMike89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Fuel System Conversion

Thanks, Btw is this install an easy install or is a pain in the *** install? Thanks for all the info

Old 01-21-2009, 10:50 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest pain is getting the fuel lines off the top of the motor. Do not just try to bend them out of the way enough to remove the upper plenum. You have to disconnect them at the back of the intake and with the distributor in, there is very little space to work in.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:01 PM
Starting Member

yea i see the 2 lines they come up omn the side next to the distrubutor to the top of the plenum. so basically I would have to depressurize the fuel system, remove the plenum and take out the old and in with new, if i do this, i will replace the manifold gaskets as well as im sure this is a good time. How much improvemnt is this over the stock, and if any what ( If any ) Hp gains will i get or will it just be more effcient and smooth.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It would be an awful good time to do it as half of the work is already done. The rest of the work to replace the intake manifold gaskets at that point is minimal. Just get the new design with the metal frame for the intake manifold gaskets. Felpro sells it.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:34 PM
Starting Member

Sounds good, Ill do that because i want to really get the most hp out of the engine that I can beforeI lift it. Im Going to this Upgrade, Cold Air Intake With a Higher Flow MAF, Headers, Hi Flow Cat, Exhaust System, March Underive Pulleys, a 269Amp Alternator, and a Comp Cams Magnum K-Kit. Im Hoping to push for 300 with this. Reprogram The ECU as well. Then Im going to add the Upgrade Servo and Deep Pan to My 4l60e and possibly a Shift Kit as well. What Do you think?

Old 01-21-2009, 01:37 PM
Starting Member

otherwise ill sell the engine, throw a 572 9.4L Crate Motor in there and dust all the fake ricers lol jk. I Dont want to Supercharge the Motor because I Do like a Naturally Aspirated Engine. 300-320Hp in the truck would be great. If my other option is to do a swap i was thinking of a Performance Unlimited 350, 350HP crate engine and then ill get a newer tranny to fit it. But id perfer to upgrade the 4.3

Old 01-21-2009, 01:52 PM
Administrator

I would keep your stock MAF and spend your money on something else. The MAF on this engine is the same cross sectional area as the MAF for a 5.7L v8. At ~25% more air required for the 5.7L over the 4.3L, I think you have room to grow into the MAF.

The headers, cat, and exhaust will help out pretty good especially with a higher reving cam. Cams are always a trade off though. You can make better power up higher in the RPM, but you will generally lose torque down low. The heads on these trucks flow fairly well, but not optimal for high RPM power. Reprogramming the PCM (custom tune) will maximize your benefits from everything.

I am not really sold on the underdrive pulleys either. There too, it is a trade off. Turn your accessories slower will reduce parasitic loses, but it will also make other things suffer (A/C performance, alternator output, cooling system flow, etc).

A shift kit improves performance and reduces wear both of which are good things.

Now, back to the MFI spider... This spider is an upgrade in reliability alone. The actual injectors do not flow as much as the current SCFI setup and I have read that the MFI setup is limited to around 300HP before it maxes out the IPW (injector pulse width).

A v8 will bolt up to the transmission.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:16 PM
Starting Member

What are 4l60e rated up to? I thought they were like 300+ HP and up to 360 Torque? Not sure though.
So if If i plan on going up to 300HP dont change the to MFI Spider. What is the max HP you think I can squeeze out going N/A and not Supercharging?

Old 01-21-2009, 02:17 PM
Starting Member

If I do S/C I was thinking of A Wynjammer 4.3 S10 Supercharger. Goes to 6lb Boost. I think that should be a fair 50-60HP gain alone. Whats your take on them, or should I get aVortech Supercharger

Old 01-21-2009, 02:18 PM
Administrator

I think 300CHP would be pushing it N/A for the 4.3L without some head porting to improve flow. The v6 version of the 4L60E does not have the same number of clutches as the v8 version, but a rebuild could bring the HP/TQ handling capabilities up to far exceed what the 4.3L can muster.

Do either still make kits for the s-series trucks? IMO, a v8 would be cheaper. Not necessarily easier, but cheaper.

Quick Reply: Fuel System Conversion