Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

FYI Flashing Check engine light leads to fixing 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 07:28 AM
Beginning Member
MyHeadache is on a distinguished road
Default FYI Flashing Check engine light leads to fixing 4x4

Other day my wife and I went out. soon as we pulled out the check engine light was flashing on the dash and had no power. well we made the short trip out less than 5 miles round trip. on the way back no flashing check engine light. everything ran ok.

well next day same thing when we started out flashing check engine light. we took my dodge truck out. that night bout 10ish popped the hood start the blazer unhooked the light on the hood. WOW the engine compartment was lighting up like a Christmas tree. Under the coil was arcing, coil wire was arcing, distributor cap arcing.

$140.00 +- from Napa for coil, distributor cap, rotor button, plug wires and plugs. since i was going to reset the computer anyway might as well just take the battery and battery tray out to see why front diff not kicking in. found out that vacuum line from switch on firewall to diaphragm all ok. how you asked by pulling off the vacuum line and sucked on it. diaphragm moved all the way in and cable going to diff moved easy. PB blaster-ed it anyway just to be safe.

Ripped off the coil, (had to beat it out of the bracket), distributor cap, rotor button and plug wires. changed to new plugs. reinstalled the cap, rotor button and wires. found that the cap had 2 cracks in it.

While ripping apart my ignition system found a group of vacuum "T"s on driver side, near brake booster that went nowhere. well one side went no where. One side went to engine, one to 4x4 front diff switch on firewall, one to hard vacuum line going into wiring bundle going into cab on driver side. where did the other end go. Well after an hour of looking, my brother looking still had no ideal. then neighbor up the road came with a 98 Sonoma said it goes right there.

Behold it did go there. Under the bracket holding the anti-lock brake stuff, inside the fender, is the vacuum canister. The vacuum canister only has the nipple sticking out from under the firewall. After replacing all the vacuum line in that area. started up the blazer and no check engine light. the defrost and heater controls work now (didn't for the last year or so), 4x4 works again.

lost my job had nothing to do today so I thought i would share this might help someone. sorry for the long read and no pics.