Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Issue with 234 transfer case driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 09:55 PM
Mming003 is on a distinguished road
Default Issue with 234 transfer case driveshaft

I have a 2004 blazer with a 6" rough country lift. Truck has the 4 button autotrac 234 transfer case with a CV style joint on the transfer case side and a regular u-joint on the other side that connects to the front diff. Ever since the lift, 3 months ago I've blown out two CV joints on the front driveshaft due to poor angle. Anyone know a trick or a fix...I'm at a loss. Currently driving without the front driveshaft in place. My transfer case spins the driveshaft all the time even in 2 Hi which is normal for the autotrac 234 transfer case. Anyone got a clue. I searched the forum already. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:40 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mming003
I have a 2004 blazer with a 6" rough country lift. Truck has the 4 button autotrac 234 transfer case with a CV style joint on the transfer case side and a regular u-joint on the other side that connects to the front diff. Ever since the lift, 3 months ago I've blown out two CV joints on the front driveshaft due to poor angle. Anyone know a trick or a fix...I'm at a loss. Currently driving without the front driveshaft in place. My transfer case spins the driveshaft all the time even in 2 Hi which is normal for the autotrac 234 transfer case. Anyone got a clue. I searched the forum already. Thanks in advance.
For much of a driveline angle you will need a custom driveshaft with a double cardan setup that will do the angle that your lift requires.

Last edited by LesMyer; 05-18-2018 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:57 AM
Mming003 is on a distinguished road

Awesome thanks for your response. Now here's another question...I get what the double cardon joint does and I know outfitter design sells a transmission crossmember that sits a bit lower for driveshaft clearance. So my main question is....who makes a double cardon joint that will mate to my male spline on my driveshaft to my male spline of my transfer case output shaft??

Old 05-18-2018, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Mming003
Awesome thanks for your response. Now here's another question...I get what the double cardon joint does and I know outfitter design sells a transmission crossmember that sits a bit lower for driveshaft clearance. So my main question is....who makes a double cardon joint that will mate to my male spline on my driveshaft to my male spline of my transfer case output shaft??
It's going to need to be a custom-made driveshaft. Seriously..... take your problem to someone who specializes in 4x4 driveshafts. You may also need to shim the front housing mount to rotate front pinion to a certain angle for the driveshaft to work properly. Back housing too, but angle is not so extreme there. All the angles are important for u-joint life and avoiding vibrations. Good luck and best wishes.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:05 AM

Here's a primer with some good practical info for lifted 4x4s.

Tom Wood's Custom Drive Shafts - Driveline 101

If you go with single cardan joints, max recommended angle on joints is 7° and pinion angle must match TC output shaft angle to avoid vibration due to rotational differences. Higher angles give lower u-joint life. This could be stretched to as much as 15° but at cost of u-joint life + added vibration.

If you go with double cardan joints on TC end, axle pinion joint angle should be near zero but you have to watch pinion bearing lubrication when tipping it upwards. Tipping of the pinion also reduces the angle required at the TC rear joint, and the double cardan setup at the rear splits this angle between each of two joints (increases joint life, while effectively canceling rotational differences in shaft speed and also allows the front joint to be run at near zero angle).

Old 05-18-2018, 01:24 PM
Transman304 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Les, Great info on the drive line angles.