Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Gearing.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 08:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You can do it with the axle installed, but if you have never setup an axle before and do not have the proper tools to do so, you will want to have someone that has done it before to help you out. You will need a dial indicator at the least. A pinion depth checker can make the whole install a lot easier. So can having a set of mock up bearings for the pinion.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:31 PM
mbrjay is on a distinguished road

Ahh that sounds like a headache. I have a good friend who is good with vehicles though so i'll consult him but if it has to go into a garage, how long would you estimate the install take a qualified mechanic, front and rear?

Old 11-10-2009, 06:21 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

My advice would be to read up online. There are many how-to's for R&P swaps around. A few key Google searches will turn up a host of results. It is not impossible to do yourself the first time, but it can be time consuming and you can mess things up.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:58 PM

So I was talking to a guy at work today and I mentioned what you said about changing carriers if I change the R&P to 4.56's and he agreed but he suggested getting lockers rather than carriers. He mention Eaton TrueTrac LSD which I understand aren't true lockers but reading up on their website suggests they don't warrenty a vehicle with tires over 32". So what other options do I have for lockers? I don't really want to spend any more than $400 a pair.

What worries me though is the axles as you've already mentioned should be upgraded to 3/4 or 1 tons. Is it possible to buy aftermarket axles seperately that'll connect to an air or electronic locker? Or should I go about sourcing some 3/4 ton axles and then worry about lockers and ring and pinion gears?

What do you think?

Thanks in Advance.
Jamie

Old 11-17-2009, 06:09 AM
Administrator

IMO, you should upgrade the axles and then worry about lockers after you have driven on those axles for a bit. A locker in the rear would be a good choice and a selectable locker even better. There are quite a number of options for your axle, but I do not know of many that are under your price threshold. Check out RingandPinion.com for some ideas.

Old 11-26-2009, 06:15 PM

Sorry to go back to this but its worrying me and being this close to christmas I don't think changing the axles is too sensible financially. Will I be ok changing just the ring and pinions and carriers if I'm only using the truck for paved roads, gravel roads and light mud / snow playtime?