Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Getting engine to TDC

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 05:15 AM
Beginning Member
ojosch is on a distinguished road

I'm tellin you, turn that crank both ways and 'feel' the piston with your straw trick and VERIFY that it is really at TDC when you do all this. It is not enough to just look at the piston because when I tried that way once, it looked all the way up when in fact it was not.

And if that don't work, then try lining up all the marks and drop the distributor in that way. Remember that there are 2 marks that are supposed to line up to 2 different reference points on the front cover. So if you are lining up the first mark on the right (of the balancer) to the first (and not the second mark) on the front cover then it is almost a quarter turn off, and needs to turn some more until the mark on the right (on the balancer) lines up to the second mark of the front cover (seen from down below).

Also, don't overlook the idea that the timing chain might've jumped and maybe it will never run like this.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:19 AM
massiah2012 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ojosch
I'm tellin you, turn that crank both ways and 'feel' the piston with your straw trick and VERIFY that it is really at TDC when you do all this. ......
And if that don't work, then try lining up all the marks and drop the distributor in that way. Remember that there are 2 marks that are supposed to line up to 2 different reference points on the front cover. So if you are lining up the first mark on the right (of the balancer) to the first (and not the second mark) ........
Also, don't overlook the idea that the timing chain might've jumped and maybe it will never run like this.

i KNOW all this im using the second mark on the left with the top mark on the block and BOTH marks line up on the compression , HOW CAN THEY NOT ? even if it were a *** hair off from TDC front or back from TDC it would still fire . if the timing chain were jumped wouldnt the marks be off ?

Old 10-05-2010, 11:57 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The timing chain connects the crank to the cam and through the cam to the distributor. If the chain had jumped a tooth or more, the cam wouldn't be timed properly to the crank even though the distributor may be. The balancer would always line up regardless of the timing chain as it is connected to the crank. The only thing that would cause this to fall out of alignment would be a sheered key.

What have you been doing to make sure that you are on the compression stroke? Have you explored the possibility that you are 180* out (i.e. not on the compression stroke)?

Are you getting a spark?

Old 10-05-2010, 02:26 PM
massiah2012 is on a distinguished road
Talking false pressure reading ,

ok well my pressure gauge was getting intermediate readings as i line dit up agains and shot air in the cylinder it gave back pressure last night and this morning i was going to have someone look at it to see if they saw something i missed so i lined it up and shot air in the hole and it went into the intake ??? WTF so i looked at the distributor it was on #4 so i shot air in the #4 spark plug hole and it was open too ?/ all i did know at this point was it wasnt running and both cylenders read open . so having nothing to loose and nowing it didnt runn with the distributor in this position i fliped it 180 ........ running like new ... as i turn it off and turn around i smelt and saw a small cloud of smoke , so im guessing when i was cleaning the intake some gun k fell into the #1 (OF ALL PLACES) and was holding the valve from being totally closed and the it got burnt up when i put the dist in the TRUE position . i could have sworn i vacuumed all the intake ports before putting on the manifold . so all this becouse of a interment ant false compression