Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Has it been rebuilt?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 03:33 PM
Starting Member
fondo has a little shameless behavior in the past
Default Has it been rebuilt?

Hi all, I'm considering buying a '95 cpi engine and trying to determine if it is rebuilt by going off of a few pix. Engine has blue valve cover gaskets and blue oil pan gasket. I recall alot of aftermarket gaskets being blue. A little encouraging... you're thoughts?? Also I plan on dropping this in a '93 olds bravada and would like to know if all electrical and what not will match up. Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Has it been rebuilt?-engine1.jpg   Has it been rebuilt?-engine2.jpg  
Old 12-18-2012, 04:09 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

If that engine was rebuilt its been through hell and back by the looks of it.Also the exaust ports are black which indicates it was running on the very rich side or burning oil.IF it were me I WOULD NOT BUY IT on the assumption its been rebuilt.

Now the other answer to your question I dont beleive it will work because them 93 engines had a steel oil pan and the distributor was HEI Vertical cap.

Also where is your location?

Last edited by 1sttimejimmyowner; 12-18-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:23 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Thats no fresh rebuild... I want them valve covers tho

Old 12-18-2012, 04:36 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

To even attempt to judge if an engine was rebuilt just by gaskets is insane.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:11 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by 1sttimejimmyowner
If that engine was rebuilt its been through hell and back by the looks of it.Also the exaust ports are black which indicates it was running on the very rich side or burning oil.IF it were me I WOULD NOT BUY IT on the assumption its been rebuilt.

Now the other answer to your question I dont beleive it will work because them 93 engines had a steel oil pan and the distributor was HEI Vertical cap.

Also where is your location?
Owner estimates roughly 30,000 miles (on top of whatever previous owner racked up) while it has been in his possession.
Wouldn't my old oil pan bolt up? It is a 4.3 block after all. Distributor would be cause for concern, but again why couldn't I just drop my old one in?
Why is my location important? I mean, I'm not paranoid or anything like that but I don't understand why that is pertinent to this thread.

Richphotos: I am not basing my decision solely on gaskets but rather using it as one of several indicators.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:15 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by fondo
Owner estimates roughly 30,000 miles (on top of whatever previous owner racked up) while it has been in his possession.
Wouldn't my old oil pan bolt up? It is a 4.3 block after all. Distributor would be cause for concern, but again why couldn't I just drop my old one in?
Why is my location important? I mean, I'm not paranoid or anything like that but I don't understand why that is pertinent to this thread.

Richphotos: I am not basing my decision solely on gaskets but rather using it as one of several indicators.
I would not use gaskets as a indicator at all, period. I could go to a junk yard, find an engine, clean it, and put new gaskets in it, and tell people it was rebuilt. Just not the best thing to do

Old 12-18-2012, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by fondo

Well it just helps if you fill out more information on your profile.For example if wanted a rebuilt engine to buy and you lived close by some of our members we could help you out.
For example I have a complete rebuilt 94 4.3 cpi engine I need to sell.Its complete with intake and exaust manifolds and all brand new parts.
Maybe someone else could have an engine if they lived close to you.
Also the older style oil pan will not bolt up the bolt pattern on the newer blocks for the oil pan holes are different.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:42 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by 1sttimejimmyowner
Well it just helps if you fill out more information on your profile.For example if wanted a rebuilt engine to buy and you lived close by some of our members we could help you out.
For example I have a complete rebuilt 94 4.3 cpi engine I need to sell.Its complete with intake and exaust manifolds and all brand new parts.
Maybe someone else could have an engine if they lived close to you.
Also the older style oil pan will not bolt up the bolt pattern on the newer blocks for the oil pan holes are different.
I guess that settles that then...

How much are you askin' for yours? I live in Idaho so shipping would be insane on a something like that I'm sure. Honestly, I'd feel more comfortable buying something from somebody with some history on this forum than some fly-by-night on craigslist.

Thanks for your prompt input!

Old 12-22-2012, 04:52 PM

If I sold it I would probaly at least have to get $600 for it.Im tossing around the idea of upgrading the camshaft using it as spare for my truck.