Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Having it serviced tommorow....

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 11:17 AM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd try cleaning the egr yourself. Then...read through some of the threads on determining which ecu/pcm you have and maybe you can check it yourself.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:42 PM
Starting Member
Crestwood1001 is on a distinguished road

Well i just went and got the truck and wow is my mechanic a good guy lol, he replaced the fuel filter for me and held the bill until i take it back next week, he is gonna replace the oxygen sensor being its cheaper just to see if that helps with the egr error code, he thinks the oxygen sensor being bad could cause the egr to be screwed up.

And I would love to clean it out myself, i think i could manage it but I really dont know what im doing so i dont wanna mess it up.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:56 PM
Starting Member
hkellogg is an unknown quantity at this point

bad o2 sensors will cause considerable bad or rough erratic engine and backfires, get some carb cleaner and spray the egr down like crazy that should clean a decent amount of carbon off...I can tell you I've been doing parts for over 8 years and I've sold maybe 4 egr valves they rarely go bad

Old 05-23-2009, 12:57 PM
Starting Member

So should I just ask him to take it apart and clean it out for me?

Old 05-23-2009, 01:36 PM
Starting Member
hkellogg is an unknown quantity at this point

yes if you want him definitelty have him do that

Old 05-23-2009, 01:44 PM
Starting Member

Ill have to mention it lol, its going in this coming friday so ill update this with how it goes...

Old 05-23-2009, 02:39 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

Dude, if you have 30 minutes of free time and a BASIC tool set you can do this yourself.
Things you need on hand:
1 10mm socket w/ 3" extension
1 replacement EGR gasket ($3 for standard crap, $6 for decent with a mesh screen to protect from fouling due to chuky carbon
1 standard (flat) screw driver or anything more appropriate for gasket scraping
1 can of carb cleaner
1 sixer of your favorite brew

now your out $14 if you enjoy good beer and have carb cleaner on hand... or $13 if your a cheap bastard with no carb cleaner and enjoy drinking swill.

unplug the wire harness on the top of the EGR valve. Pull the 2 bolts holding her on. Use a flat (screwdriver) object to pry the old gasket off. 1) spray carb cleaner into the valve and scrub at the carbon. pour it out (use a coffee can or your neighbor's dog bowl). 2) spray more in and let soak. repeat 1) and 2) until clean carb cleaner pours out. place new gasket on intake. place vale on gasket. secure with bolts. plug it in. pray. fire up your Blazer. pound brew and pat yourself on the back while telling everyone that passes by that you are a master mechanic and God's gift to women.

I have no business opening my hood, let alone trying to fix stuff. But if you dont take a stab at it and get your hands dirty, you will never know just how hard your favorite mechanic is bending you over from time to time.

Also, you will FIX nothing by throwing your limited money at your problems. you can sell a kidney to replace everything under your hood piece by piece until you finally solve the problem. OR you could listen to the help people are giving you here (that you asked for) and apply it to your situation. https://blazerforum.com/forum/search.php is your friend. if not, make it your friend. people have been struggling and helping with everything you could imagine around here.

Last edited by ABN31B; 05-23-2009 at 02:58 PM. Reason: i spell like ass
Old 05-23-2009, 03:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABN31B
I have no business opening my hood, let alone trying to fix stuff. But if you dont take a stab at it and get your hands dirty, you will never know just how hard your favorite mechanic is bending you over from time to time.
I LOL'd!

Old 05-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Starting Member

Haha see the thing is i would LOVE to do it myself and i would but my dad is paying for alot of this for me and he does not want me trying it myself, whats a good case for trying it lol help me out

Old 05-23-2009, 05:23 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Be careful with the whole "my dad is paying for it" thing...I lost a perfectly good '80 stepside with an over-bored 350, 4x4, granny gear, 4 speed manual because I went to college and he didn't wanna keep it up while he was using it. Despite the fact that I put a full exhaust on it. Manifolds and all. Plus countless other junkyard trips. Yes I learned some lessons the hard way but...those are the best lessons learned.

Go buy a Haynes manual, read it and try some stuff. Cleaning the EGR is pretty safe and "you'd be saving him money!" Get it in the driveway/garage change the oil, air filter and lube it. Show him you repsect the vehicle. Remind him that your time, no offense, at 17 yrs is way cheaper than $110 hr dealer mechanic time.

Quick Reply: Having it serviced tommorow....