Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 03:15 PM
Beginning Member
morganpainter is on a distinguished road
Default help!!!

have an 89 chevy blazer with a 350 engine. i bought it from a guy test drove it, ran fine, drove it about 60 miles back home no problem. the guy said when it rains it has a hard time starting... the first time it rained it started right up but would skip every now and then. i took it to get inspected, passed. got the tag and title for it. on the way home i was at a light and it started sputtering and died, after about 5 min of starting it, it finally started. drove it for a mile and it died going down the road. hasnt started since. ive checked fuel pump, good shape, changed fuel filter, fuel pump relay and fixed some kinks in the fuel line, the fuel pressure is 13 psi, and fuel pressure regulator. ive also changed the entire distributor coil pack, and plug wires . the problem im having is that when i turn the key the pump doesnt prime. but when i jump out the relay it primes and i can hear and see gas getting to the tbi. but its not going thru the injectors. ive tried starting the truck with the relay jumped still no luck. so whatever the problem is i dont get power to the pump and the injectors when the key is turned.. i can get it to fire up with starter fluid but it wnt stay running because it doesnt get constant fuel... ive heard that a bad oil pressure switch switch can cause the pump not to run but does that have anything to do with the injectors not firing as well or am i even in the wrong ball park. somebody please help me ive spent too much time and money and nothing is happening plus im starting a new job in 3 weeks and need it to be running by then thanks

Last edited by morganpainter; 03-26-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:08 AM
AndrewO1991 is on a distinguished road

it's important to know what 350 engine we are dealing with, if you could post a picture of it that would be nice. Is it a vortec? tbi? tpi? carbed? some custom deal? But it sounds like the distributor is your problem. Im guessing its a tbi engine, the injectors run off the pulse created by the distributor. Most likely its getting wet. You can try drying it and then shrink wrap it if you can get it running. If not it may have shorted something out.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:10 AM
Beginning Member

i recently bought and installed a reman distributor and put it in, its a tbi.im thinking its the oil pressure switch or computer. i can jump the relay switch out and the pump works but not the injectors..what could it short out?

Old 03-29-2013, 09:12 PM
Beginning Member
Exclamation at my whits end!

well just put a new oil pressure switch.... no luck dont even know where to go look now....besides the a fire pit lol spent too much time and money and not getting anywhere. ive changed (fuel pump,fuel filter,fuel lines,fuel pressure regulator,tbi gasket,distributor, cap and button,coil pack,oil pressure switch, distributor pick up,ECM has been tested and is good, and changed fuel pump relay) cleaned fuel injectors, dropped gas tank repaired broken wires and loose hoses... im all out of options... only thing i havent changed is the computer (scared to spend more money and it not fix the problem) when i turn the key my fuel pump doesnt prime and the injectors dont run... i know the pump works because i can jump the relay out and it comes on.. is there anything that controls the injectors???

Old 03-30-2013, 06:30 AM
AndrewO1991 is on a distinguished road

the distributor controls the injectors, check the wires