Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Help! Fuel pump changed/relay sizzle behind glovebox

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 08:01 AM
Beginning Member
bassman is an unknown quantity at this point

I am at the end of my rope. It took almost 2 weeks but I changed the fuel pump in our 97 blazer. It starts but only if I prime the carb with gas each time. If you let it sit more than a minute or so, you have to prime it again.
This all started 2 weeks ago when my wife was driving it. She heard a sizzle noise from the glovebox and it shut off. I changed the relay and got nothing. No fuel. I deduced that the fuel pump was out. It took almost 2 weeks to change it. In a cold snowy driveway with a bad back. Anyway. It only starts when primed and also, now my daytime running lights don't work.
I changed the relay, fuel pump and filter. Can anyone help? Our job depends on this car and we have had to pawn things just to keep a rental we got. But now we are out of time and money. Someone please help before we lose our job?

P.S. Also, when I got it running, I let it idle for a bt, then attempted to move it. It seems the parking brake is locked. The wheels rolled fine when we took it off the flatbed. But now, it won't move. I pressed the emergency brake pedal down and then pulled the brake release, and it is stuck down. How could I have messed up the emergency brake by dropping the tank and raising it again with the new pump? Help?

Last edited by swartlkk; 01-03-2011 at 10:03 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:47 AM
UberFail is on a distinguished road

tbh it sounds like you might have crossed some wires - did u check all the fuses in the panel as well as under the hood? u might have to pull that part of the dash apart to check behind the panel to see the wiring to make sure they're all connected.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:03 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

What are you driving? You mention having to prime the carb but have the fuel pump in the tank? I guessing you mean the throttle body?

Old 01-03-2011, 02:09 PM
Beginning Member

Yeah you may be right. I don't really have time or desire to pull the dash apart. We are thinking of junking it. But for some reason, the brakes are locked up. It's like it wants to die. I got it started earlier, but when I put it in drive, nothing. The parking brake light was on. I pushed down the pedal, thinking when I released it, that would solve the stuck brake problem. But now it won't release at all. I may pull an allnighter on it. I am about out of ideas. Thanks anyway. If you think of anything else, let me know.

Yes AJBert, I meant throttle body. I am just used to working on cars with carbs. Anyway, any ideas on what might be the delemma? Our job depends on me getting this thing on the road tonight. Thank you.

Well, now I got her to start without priming. It just takes forever to crank before it starts. Got the brakes a little loose. The !P light is still on at the dashboard and you can feel the brakes dragging in forward, but it is easy going in reverse. Any ideas?

Old 01-03-2011, 09:17 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

your truck is a '97, so i'm gonna go with the fact it probably didn't come with rear discs, so your shoes are dragging, which means it's a seized PB cable. don't know how it would've got stuck in the first place if you never use it, but there is a good chance the tow truck driver pressed it out of habit.

even if your truck has rear discs, the PB works the same way (a small circular "shoe" inside the rotor hub).

as for th weak starting issue..........it sounds like you either pinched a fuel line intalling everything, or a wire. but that doesn't make sense, 'cause a wire shouldn't cause the fuel system to depressurize, which is what sounds like the system is doing.

triple check your install, 'cause it sounds like it might just be a simple thing you may have over looked when bolting everything back up.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:53 AM

try popping the back wheels off and taking a hammer to the drum to loosen the parking brake off - lil lube on the exposed cable around the housings for them wouldn't hurt too i'd figure - but maybe try something like a graphite spray to save bs gumming up in there with the lube.

when your pump primes u should have a look under the vehicle to make sure the lines are connected right and if all else fails go to your local tools store (canadian tire in canada is cheap) and find a fuel pressure gauge. this way you can connect and see how much pressure your getting - i know i've read that some people experience issues with leak down in pressure on the 4.3 but your's might just be on the deep end of it? or the pump's crapping out or clogged or lines pinched or full... also find the fuel filter (under the drivers door side on the inside of the frame) pull that and make sure its not plugged too

Old 01-04-2011, 01:14 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

he did mention that he changed the relay, pump, & filter in his OP. but you're right, if there was s**t in the system, then there's no reason it couldn't have clogged up the new filter.

or worse, even the injector assembly itself!

i don't think were helping much anymore.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:01 AM

well best bet is the fuel pressure gauge... i picked mine up for a whole $15 when my fuel pump took a giant sh|t all over the cavalier.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:21 AM
Beginning Member

This is good advice and I really appreciate it. I do need to get at the back brakes. Running it up the street to the gas station yesterday was like driving with a foot on the gas and a foot on the brake. Not bad, but it won't "idle" forward like you would if you take your foot off the brake at a stop sign. Sad thing is, I have no choise today. I have to drive it to work. I am scared it will mess up. But I cannot call off work either. I am going to try when I get home to take off the back wheels and do what was said here. After that, I am for sure looking up underneath to double check. I will probably be back on here with further news. lol Thanks guys. Wish me luck.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:09 PM
Beginning Member

Well guys, I appreciate the advice. I decided to give it a few days after I fixed the brakes. The brake problem was that the pedal had not come all the way up, but had also gotten stuck and would not raise up. I don't know why. I got frustrated and pulled the pedal up by hand while pulling on the brake release, and eventually it inched it's way up. Now the wheels are fine. I rechecked all my fuel lines and all looks good, but it still has to crank awhile before it starts, where before it would always fire right up. I think the little pump at the throttle body may not be working, but not sure how to check it. Now, does anyone have any idea how I can get my heater blower working? Truck runs fine, but driving all day in 3 degrees with no heat actually hurts! Thanks guys. Mucho appreciated.

Quick Reply: Help! Fuel pump changed/relay sizzle behind glovebox