Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Help! Transmission Issue :S

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Beginning Member
blazer888 is on a distinguished road
Default Help! Transmission Issue :S

Hi. I have a 1996 chevy blazer ls, 4.3l v6.
I think my trans is a 4L60-E.

I use the car every day, but yesterday when starting up, i've lost every gear but reverse. Engine is running properly, and i've checked trans-fluid (looks and smells good), checked for blown fuses (none), reset computer (no change), checked the trans for leaks, but everything seems fine, the cable gear shifter works properly and all. No warning lamps or anything in dash.

So i seem to think it may be an electrical issue?

Anyone has an electric schedule for the trans, i don't have access to a diagnosis tool just yet

Is this likely to be an electric fault, or do i need to get it overhauled?

I'm stuck, and would appreciate any reply

Old 05-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to say it, but it most likely is internal. Of the other cases where I have read about this condition, here are some things to look into:
  • Input Sprag broken - This issue would result in no forward movement in any gear selection other than 1st which should cause the overrun clutch to apply the forward hub allowing for some forward movement.
  • Front Planet Damage - If the forward sprag is good, the next thing would be the front planet. I have read a number of cases where the inner bearing will go bad and chew up the planets case enough to allow the splines to slip. This condition would cause no forward movement in any shifter position.
  • Input Drum - Broken forward snap ring groove causing it to loose the forward sprag and prohibiting it from engaging.
  • Forward Accumulator Piston - Cracked piston or missing pin

Old 05-18-2010, 03:54 AM
Beginning Member
blazer888 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
I hate to say it, but it most likely is internal. Of the other cases where I have read about this condition, here are some things to look into:
  • Input Sprag broken - This issue would result in no forward movement in any gear selection other than 1st which should cause the overrun clutch to apply the forward hub allowing for some forward movement.
  • Front Planet Damage - If the forward sprag is good, the next thing would be the front planet. I have read a number of cases where the inner bearing will go bad and chew up the planets case enough to allow the splines to slip. This condition would cause no forward movement in any shifter position.
  • Input Drum - Broken forward snap ring groove causing it to loose the forward sprag and prohibiting it from engaging.
  • Forward Accumulator Piston - Cracked piston or missing pin

I see, looks like i have to split and look

But if it was an internal fault, wouldn't there be any noise when i rev up ?

And i think it's strange that everything works great, and suddenly this happens over night?