Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

How far to fully seat torque converter!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 06:20 PM
kgkern01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How far to fully seat torque converter!?

Day 3 or so of my transmission swap and I'm trying to get the transmission bolted up to the engine. How far in before the torque converter is FULLY seated? I keep finding sites online for 4L60e that say "at least 1" from converter bolt to face of bellhousing, however after MANY attempts of pushing in the converter to where it feels like it is seated in place, I get 15mm from the converter bolt face to the bellhousing face (using a straightedge). I can push the transmission onto the beginning of the dowels which is about a half inch or less from the engine block, but then the converter bolt face is pressed up against the flexplate at that point.

Is this fully engaged, or does it need to go in another 10mm (to make a 1 gap")?

I don't want to everything bolted up only to start it and find out I have to start all over!

Need to know ASAP because I am not going to attempt this any further without clarification...

Thanks!

Old 08-26-2011, 06:41 PM
aneill75 is on a distinguished road

I'd try pulling the TC out a little bit, rotating it, and re-seating it. Can't remember off the top of my head if they're indexed, but I don't think so. Sounds like it's not seated all the way to me.

Had a similar problem with a 350/700r a while back, and it turned out it wasn't seated all the way.

Maybe a little more info on the tranny swap could help. Are you swapping same year tranny's?

Aaron

Old 08-26-2011, 06:58 PM

Trans is out of a 98 S10 4x4, I have a 2001 Blazer, same torque converter that was out of my Blazer, just the trans is being swapped.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:40 PM

That could be the problem. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the trans bellhousing depth changed in 2001. You'll probably need a TC from the donor vehicle........but, I could be mistaken. Wouldn't be the first time.....

HC

Old 08-26-2011, 09:01 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by kgkern01
Trans is out of a 98 S10 4x4, I have a 2001 Blazer, same torque converter that was out of my Blazer, just the trans is being swapped.
Originally Posted by aneill75
That could be the problem. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the trans bellhousing depth changed in 2001. You'll probably need a TC from the donor vehicle........but, I could be mistaken. Wouldn't be the first time.....
Still have the old trans? Measure the tc in it, then new one

Old 08-26-2011, 09:28 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

I think it should slide in 3 times. keep rotating it and try to get it to go in farther

Old 08-27-2011, 03:08 AM

The two trans are identical, both are 2-piece 4wd trans. Also, other than the grease on my old one you would not be able to tell them apart. Depths are the same inside the bellhousing, I just want to know what is the proper depth that the converter should sit on these? Is it really 1" depth, or is is shallower on these?

Old 08-27-2011, 09:14 AM

When first putting the torque converter onto the splines, do I have to keep the 2 'slots' in the converter lined up with the tabs on the pump the whole time, or will turning the converter while pushing in get it into place?

Old 08-27-2011, 11:32 AM

OK then. You have verified that the bellhousing depths are the same. See - I was wrong

Sounds like you don't have the 'tabs' engaged, then. And yes, 1" sounds about right.

If you don't have the tabs seated, you're out about 1/2" IIRC. No amount of "I'll just suck it up with the bolts" is gonna correct that.

Aaron

Old 08-27-2011, 11:50 AM

Any tricks for getting the 2 tabs engaged?

Quick Reply: How far to fully seat torque converter!?