Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

How far to fully seat torque converter!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 12:48 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

You should be able to rotate the tc while pushing back and it should set back 2 obvious times. Just keep spinning and pushing till its home. When it's fully seated, you will be pulling the tc towards the flexplate slightly when you bolt them together.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blazin_Jason
You should be able to rotate the tc while pushing back and it should set back 2 obvious times. Just keep spinning and pushing till its home. When it's fully seated, you will be pulling the tc towards the flexplate slightly when you bolt them together.
^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^

Failure to fully engage the snout into the drive dogs on the pump will result in a cracked pump drive if you try to install it that way.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:40 PM
kgkern01 is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, so I went back out there and made sure I lined up the keys on the transmission pump to the slots on the converter, finally got it to go into place with a little wiggling.

Now, the converter doesn't turn when it is fully seated. When it was part of the way in it turned easily, now that it has seated, it doesn't turn. Is this normal or is the pump bad?

Old 08-27-2011, 05:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It should turn rather freely once it engages into the pump... Can you spin the pump drive with the converter out?

Old 08-27-2011, 05:05 PM

How do I spin the pump drive with the converter out?

Old 08-27-2011, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Two slender screw drivers? You should be able to spin it with just one screw driver, but it has to be fairly long & slender to not damage the seal.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:35 PM

Ok, it's seized...awesome. The pump on the old trans turned fine, the 'new' trans one didnt budge. So how hard is it to replace the pump? Any parts stores carry one?

The reason I pulled the old trans was due to the 3-4 clutches going out after a trans line leaked on me on the x-way. I have been driving fine with 1-2 gear since then.

Last edited by kgkern01; 08-27-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:44 PM
Administrator

The pump is a tight fit into the front of the transmission. THIS PAGE should shed some light on it (found by doing a google search for "4L60E pump removal") if you don't have the specialized tooling to pull it.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:44 PM

Got the pump out, it was actually not too hard to do, didnt have to remove the bellhousing either, although it made it a little snug to get out that way. Local trans shop said they may be able to repair it and if not have some good used/rebuilt ones for about $60. Hopefully everything else with this other trans works ok! Do NOT want to do a trans swap on this truck again!

Old 09-22-2011, 12:02 PM
Beginning Member
hardyboy is on a distinguished road

Pull it out turn push it in and it will drop farther where it should be I remmber mine made a click when it went into the right spot