General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Torque converter bolts

Old 09-03-2006, 06:44 PM
blackhole79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Torque converter bolts

I'm in the process of removing the 4L60E transmission from my 98 Blazer for a rebuild and I'm stumped on how to remove the torque converter bolts. I see there is about a 2" diameter hole in the bellhousing and 2 holes on either side of that with rubber plugs in them. I can see the torque converter bolts but can't get to them. Help!

Old 09-03-2006, 07:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Torque converter bolts

I believe you have to drop the starter out to get at the TC bolts. Hanr3 had a post awhile back about the removal, overhaul, and reinstallation of his 4L60E in his 2000 Blazer.

Old 09-03-2006, 09:18 PM
blackhole79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah ha! You're absolutely right. Fortunately I already had the starter out. One thing I will add, there is a bracket/backing plate attached to the engine where the starter attaches that has to be removed before the torque converter bolts can be accessed. Now why wasn't this information in the Chilton's manual? Thanks for the help!

Old 09-04-2006, 01:40 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Not a problem! Glad I could help. And Chilton's isn't the best resource, nor is Haynes... I have found that the factory service manuals are the best resource and well worth the $$$ to buy them. HelmInc.com sells them and last time I was in there, the S-series manuals were on sale.