Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

I can't fit a Ratchet and I can't move the bolt with wrench

Old 10-02-2011, 07:13 PM
Beginning Member
kuojo is on a distinguished road
Default I can't fit a Ratchet and I can't move the bolt with wrench

Ok so I have a 1995 Chevy LT Blazer that needs a transmission fluid change. Just one issue: I can't get to the transmission pan without removing the cross member that holds up the transmission itself! Now normally I would just use a ratchet and take the bolts off but I cant even get a ratchet into the transmission mount. I am completely stumped! I have no idea how to get this pan off and I already attempted once so I think I also have to replace the gasket. Can anyone please help me?

Last edited by kuojo; 10-02-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:18 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

a decent size pipe on the wrench But be careful not to snap the bolt tho If it wont move the cross member has to be removed

Pictures would help us also

Last edited by xgiovannix12; 10-02-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:51 PM
Starting Member
LowLife is on a distinguished road

i always just use a 1/4 inch size ratchet, a small extension and i believe the bolt size is 13mm socket, never had a problem i changed the trans fluid in my 97 bravada
98 bravada
96 blazer
98 jimmy, all the same way, but someone said a while back swart i think "some blazers u have no choice but to move the crossmember" but i never had that problem. maybe your that rare %.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:29 PM
Starting Member
jbsnowboarder16 is on a distinguished road

On my 2000 I had to unbolt the cross member to get to the pan. I was able to use a universal joint on 1, but then had to drop the cross member. Use a jack or jack stands to hold the transmission up.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:36 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by kuojo
Ok so I have a 1995 Chevy LT Blazer that needs a transmission fluid change. Just one issue: I can't get to the transmission pan without removing the cross member that holds up the transmission itself! Now normally I would just use a ratchet and take the bolts off
but I cant even get a ratchet into the transmission mount.
I am completely stumped! I have no idea how to get this pan off and I already attempted once so I think I also have to replace the gasket. Can anyone please help me?

Hey guys..
I know it's easy to read things wrong and the OP should have made it clearer

I dont have a clue cause I havent done it.. and I'm not about to crawl under to see what he's talking about.

Last edited by Hanr3; 10-05-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:53 AM
Starting Member

OK, now I understand, but I'm confused all over again, haha. If we are talking about the the cross member bolts, which ones are we talking about, there are 6; 2 on each side through the frame rail and then the two that bolt to the transmission?

Old 10-05-2011, 08:13 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by jbsnowboarder16
OK, now I understand, but I'm confused all over again, haha. If we are talking about the the cross member bolts, which ones are we talking about, there are 6; 2 on each side through the frame rail and then the two that bolt to the transmission?
He said he wanted to remove the crossmember but couldnt get at the transmission mount bolts.

EDITED:

Last edited by Hanr3; 10-05-2011 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Edited
Old 10-05-2011, 09:26 AM
Starting Member

Calm down man, I'm not 100% what bolts he's talking about, so I went out and took a picture for clarification. Are these the bolts we are talking about? Sorry for the bad picture, the black is the cross member and the sliver/gray is the transmission. If so it is a 15mm socket, I would soak them in PB Blaster, WD40, etc. let it sit a little bit of time and then try them. If you do get them off, I supported the transmission with a jack and then gently tapped the cross member with a hammer, and then took a large screwdriver/pry bar and just popped the cross member off, make sure the tranny is supported or you'll have a whole other problem.

Also, pettyfrog, on my 2000 there are 6 bolts in the cross member. 2 in the passenger frame rail, 2 in the drivers frame rail, and then the two that I have taken a picture of for this post. I know all 6 were a bit rusted and gummed up on my Blazer, that that's why I was a little confused. No need to get frustrated, we are all just trying to help

Attached Thumbnails I can't fit a Ratchet and I can't move the bolt with wrench-100_1833%5B1%5D.jpg  

Last edited by jbsnowboarder16; 10-05-2011 at 09:28 AM. Reason: More Info
Old 10-05-2011, 09:49 AM
BF Veteran

In appropriate post.

__________________________________________________ __

From that pic I'm confused too...

Last edited by Hanr3; 10-05-2011 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Edited
Old 10-05-2011, 10:54 AM
Starting Member

Kuojo, is there anyway that you can take a picture of exactly where you are running into a problem, so that there is no more confusion, the undercarriage of your vehicle may be different than mine, but if so, I'll still try to help you out as much as possible.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I can't fit a Ratchet and I can't move the bolt with wrench