Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

I got the Blazer back. If I can get the IAT to stay on I should be golden. Astro....

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 01:03 PM
93S10TahoeLT is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DonL
There was some s10s that came with a 2.2l 4 inline engine...
Did some also come with a 2.5 Iron Duke?

The ad says 4.3 in the title line, I'll have to set up a return for it.

Old 04-12-2020, 08:41 AM
2001ZR2 is on a distinguished road

Please find a pick and pull and purchase a good part that comes off of a 4.3 Blazer 1994-2004 for ease of matching. Should be plug and play but look it over carefully for the clip on the front and also get the stud and "Tee" nut.

My son's Blazer ran like total dog crap since the previous owner tried to fix the one on it with wood screws from the hardware store.

I agree your mechanic is not a very detail oriented person. Between YouTube and this board you can do a lot of the little things that these trucks need. I never had done a front suspension until I joined this board now have rebuilt 4 and changed a tie rod another vehicle.

Old 04-12-2020, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by 2001ZR2
Please find a pick and pull and purchase a good part that comes off of a 4.3 Blazer 1994-2004 for ease of matching. Should be plug and play but look it over carefully for the clip on the front and also get the stud and "Tee" nut.

My son's Blazer ran like total dog crap since the previous owner tried to fix the one on it with wood screws from the hardware store.

I agree your mechanic is not a very detail oriented person. Between YouTube and this board you can do a lot of the little things that these trucks need. I never had done a front suspension until I joined this board now have rebuilt 4 and changed a tie rod another vehicle.

Yes, I even avoided putting on the aftermarket K&N hat.. although maybe I should. I can see how it works now. The stud and "tee" nut - Two nuts in one, really - is more like an air-metering screw that also doubles as securement in the rear for the hat. When this was out more, it led to a loping and erratic idle. When I finally got a new one (that did, in fact, sit straight up and down, instead of like the Leaning Tower of Pisa, literally,) it made it smooth out MUCH more, right away. Directly related: My "broken" hat - circle is blown out on the back, leaving room for movement. 2. No clip - DOES have a good orange seal.. but still no front clip.

So, maybe I am still losing vacuum from there.

This is why I think maybe the K&N piece, with what appears to be a clamp at the base of it, would be maybe something where I should open that box. THOUGH I get it.. the board is saying that is not necessary, as if I just find a good factory hat I may not need it. Well, therein lies the problem.. now, we have everything closed too. Heh. A slap in the face.

The last activity that happened with the factory hat I have was. Used an impact ratchet to screw in the screw. A 13mm regular nut has replaced the black piece that puts pressure on the back of the hat, and it is very difficult to move from the front now. It is still not CLAMPED IN but it has been yielding pretty smooth operation.

From what I am reading, board patrons are red in the face with anger that such a simple issue (vacuum leak) is leading to such a large amount of "What is wrong." And it has been mentioned about if the upper plenum is on secure. I say again.. slowly but surely, I am getting these things figured out.

And I also figured out that.. it is losing massive vacuum when the brakes are applied, hence the surge and stall, since the brakes seems more a vacuum problem than anything, thus creating a... wait for it.. sitting down? Here it is.. vacuum leak (shocker) when they are applied.. which is the only time it acts up.

I am taking it to a new mechanic for a look-over. I will not even talk about how the surging/I take SITTING LOOSELY IN TWO PIECES TOP OF THE ENGINE contributed to a Malibu in the side of my truck ....................

I think I am taking off the EGR valve and cleaning it tomorrow.

And if I need to buy a wobble socket to get that one bolt that is right behind the hose.. I will.

Because. For everyone saying Vacuum.. Yeah, could be, but it also could be.. EGR? https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...d-truck-65492/

Last edited by swartlkk; 04-13-2020 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Merging consecutive posts made within 20 minutes of each other - Use the edit feature to add information to your post if necessary. Repeated offenses will result in suspension of privileges..
Old 04-13-2020, 01:15 PM
Mods is on a distinguished road

EGR leaks will also cause vacuum leaks as all leads back to the intake manifold. fix the actually known issue first, what K/N parts are you going to use? P/N?

Old 04-13-2020, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mods
EGR leaks will also cause vacuum leaks as all leads back to the intake manifold. fix the actually known issue first, what K/N parts are you going to use? P/N?
I am thiking.maybe I should try to fit this. Especially after getting P0300 this morning. https://www.ebay.com/vod/FetchOrderD...=1754925585004

K&N 57 SERIES FIPK INTAKE 57-3017-2 96-05 BLAZER S10/JIMMY S15 4.3

The thing that was attractive to me is that there appears to be an actual clamp at the base. This apparently came out of some kind of Performance yet wrecked S10 maybe if the pic was real. What do you see? I have not yet attempt to mount it, maybe I should..

Old 04-13-2020, 04:25 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

It's similar to the other one, but as this one has clamp instead of the three bolt locations, you should be good. It will work better if you fabricate a box for the filter. I would use the box that chuck made in his "project sleeper blazer" as a blueprint. And you might need 2 clamps for the map sensor, unless they ship them loose.

Old 04-13-2020, 04:55 PM

Oh yeah. Even has the VIN# of the 2000 S10 (Xtreme? Heh) it came out of. Maybe this can work..

Name:  t7IZS1E.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  767.4 KB

Name:  fywcZmR.jpg
Size:  563.8 KB

Name:  NZCT8CV.jpg
Size:  781.1 KB

Well, let's go try it out and see what it wants to do.

Not even all the way on yet and it llooks good already....

Name:  4uxakOV.jpg
Size:  926.7 KB

Name:  XGBPmVW.jpg
Size:  2.79 MB

Last edited by swartlkk; 04-13-2020 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Merging consecutive posts - Use the edit feature to add information to your post if necessary. Repeated offenses will result in suspension of privileges..
Old 04-13-2020, 05:20 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

That looks better

Old 04-13-2020, 08:10 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

That finally looks airtight. I wouldn't even bother installing the rest of it if you were going to. Just leave it hooked to the airbox like it is.

Old 04-16-2020, 04:02 PM

New brake booster in today. I should mark the mileage... 153,349 miles.

It runs like a new truck, just about .

Just gotta do those doors .

Check out its first start-up upon delivery from the new shop....

Guess what they said about why the K&N intake initially popped off. ? (It remains on there now)

Quick Reply: I got the Blazer back. If I can get the IAT to stay on I should be golden. Astro....