Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

I got the Blazer back. If I can get the IAT to stay on I should be golden. Astro....

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 11:27 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Do you have the other piece that goes with the K&N setup? It bolts down on top of the throttle body and gives a better surface for the hose to clamp to. I thought I saw it in one of your earlier pictures.

Old 04-18-2020, 12:26 AM
93S10TahoeLT is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Tom A
Do you have the other piece that goes with the K&N setup? It bolts down on top of the throttle body and gives a better surface for the hose to clamp to. I thought I saw it in one of your earlier pictures.
Is it the metal piece with the three holes?
*because.. if so, I can't see how to secure it. The three holes.. go to where??
I apologize if this is slow in coming, but, I should have a fairly good education in how a 96-05 4.3 throttle body and intake setup goes after this. Presently, I am frustrated, too.

After I posted up that picture.. I noticed, the MAF/air filter side of the whole hose seemed to be dragging the side of the hat off.. basically, too much weight. I even put the K&N filter on and was stunned when I felt the truck accelerate noticeably quicker. (Felt like it needed less pedal input to achieve getting to 30MPH, if it was all in my head then okay but I do felt I noticed a difference when I had the full K&N piece on.) EVEN THEN.. it is not getting good purchase on the throttle body, and I just put everything back inside and took a nap as my hands were very dirty (I do not use gloves. The feel of things in the hand is different with even the thinnest glove) and i had to go to work.

Maybe in the morning, since the intake is now again completely apart.. (that screw in the back seems in correctly.so that has not been touched) I will post a pic of ALL. I even still have the incorrect Sceptre one, which I am due to send back for refund.

For now, it sits, yet again, and I took our other car into work tonight. Since. Even last night. I come to a stop, car stalls.. it is about the mounting of the hat, is what it really seems like. And okay, if you told me this last month, two months ago.. Here I am seeing it firsthand.. It may take awhile, but, here we are.

My guess would be the lean codes are from too much air.

What I got out of the clue given is.. There is a piece missing (on this setup,) and this is incorrect?

Name:  u7w8vi3.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  1.04 MB

The side that goes off to the passenger corner keeps seeming to pull it off, being very heavy.

I still have these pieces, yes. And while I did look at the metal piece (with the three holes,) if I can figure out how to secure it with those ...........

**okay.. where can I get these three "stand-offs" I see at 3:38 in this video!? I think this mayj solve the problem . If I bought an incomplete kit... HOME DEPOT!?

https://youtu.be/Yi34ZNTDhHE

Then, I would have these...

Name:  zgya964.jpg
Size:  497.9 KB
Name:  XgDihqM.jpg
Size:  515.1 KB

Last edited by 93S10TahoeLT; 04-18-2020 at 12:51 AM.
Old 04-19-2020, 09:36 PM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07JPDZ1YM/ref=sspa_mw_detail_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdG VkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExNVFQMUlFQk1BMU1LJmVuY3J5cHRlZElk PUEwMDM1MTI0Tk9QQjhDOUxMT1RSJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QT AxODEzMTMzQkRHMUkxWUpTM0xYJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfcGhv bmVfZGV0YWlsJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0

?

Last edited by 93S10TahoeLT; 04-20-2020 at 05:31 AM.
Old 04-20-2020, 11:43 AM

I got this 5 minutes ago. Now to go eat some lunch and then returthen the Blazer afterwards.

Name:  kx1AjUt.jpg
Size:  1.01 MB
Name:  F117Jc4.jpg
Size:  907.6 KB
Name:  o2JTOF8.jpg
Size:  1.21 MB

Old 04-20-2020, 11:51 AM
Billy1820 is on a distinguished road

Did you also get the stud/bolt that goes into the throttle body to secure it?

Old 04-20-2020, 01:05 PM

This could be... Everything...

Name:  EmI08pG.jpg
Size:  1.03 MB
Originally Posted by Billy1820
Did you also get the stud/bolt that goes into the throttle body to secure it?
Yes...

Name:  OrqpY0R.jpg
Size:  754.8 KB

It is almost all the way back together...

Homemade SRI. How did I do??

Name:  N6ciwTW.jpg
Size:  1.21 MB
It feels very good now.

Maybe I should read about throttle re-learn because.. except for some kind of cut-out when coming to a stop (no longer stalls) it feels very good...

Last edited by 93S10TahoeLT; 04-20-2020 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-21-2020, 02:23 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

I would start by changing that air filter element first. Seems really clogged up to me. If that is a dry filter element it gets not even half the air it would need.

Old 04-21-2020, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by error_401
I would start by changing that air filter element first. Seems really clogged up to me. If that is a dry filter element it gets not even half the air it would need.
Good observation.

Just washed it out, used hot water. Had a small stream of brown/black water. Then sprayed small amount of cleaner on outside and washed again.

Yes, I have read the K&N needs to be re-oiled.. for now, it has better airflow and it could just be my imagination but it seemed to idle smoother immediately upon putting it back on. Could always wash it again. (Another one? Sure.. though, I like the washing idea because I'm not paying hyperinflated chain store made-up prices for them. If that is authentic K&N and I believe it is as it says K&N branded, it should be washable and oil-able. To either buy a recharge kit, or most on some MMO, did some quick research... even trans fluid?)

As to the SRI set-up, it would be cool to leave it like that, if I am not harming anything . I am very happy to have at least one basic thing resolved. Probably won't ever take the hat off again, if it can be helped...

Old 04-22-2020, 04:56 PM

This is the latest with it.

Name:  efZXQs0.jpg
Size:  938.4 KB

^edit: After a nice long drive, it now idles and runs better than even this. I think I will leave it like this.

Last edited by 93S10TahoeLT; 04-23-2020 at 06:47 AM.
Old 04-25-2020, 02:22 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Good you got that running fine again. I'ts very very hard to beat an OEM setup despite all the voices. Many, many man-hours have gone into getting that design right. There is better solutions but I have yet to find some shady tree mechanic that has come up with a better design than stock. (For a stock engine).

Quick Reply: I got the Blazer back. If I can get the IAT to stay on I should be golden. Astro....