Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

I hate to ask this but I'm stuck

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 05:34 PM
atvwarrior will become famous soon enough

Yes I definatly need to get my adapter back , And I think I no why its stuck in 4 low , the drain plug looking thing on the bottom of the transfer case with a spring behind it , well when I took that out to drain the tc the spring fell out and I don't no if anything else in there fell out but I put the spring back in and the plug and just for the heck of it I pulled it back out and the spring wouldn't come out so I wiggled the shifter on the tc with my 5/8 wrench and got it out but it is all messed up now and it was good before .

Old 02-27-2011, 05:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If it had a spring behind it, it wasn't a drain plug...

Old 02-27-2011, 05:52 PM

Nope sure wasn't , Do you no the thing I'm talking about ? If so what it actully does , I had a feeling it was this because I didn't mess with anything else . And with the spring out its stuck in nuetral and I can't turn the manuel shifter thing with the wrench , not even low .

Old 02-27-2011, 06:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It likely is the detent plunger spring and retaining cap that you pulled. Here's a view showing the detent plunger, spring, & cap as well as the fill & drain plugs. If you have somehow gotten the shifter past the acceptable positions and now have the detent plunger jammed in against the shift sector shaft comb, it could lock up the sector shaft.

Attached Thumbnails I hate to ask this but I'm stuck-231_233_241_243p1_large.jpg  
Old 02-27-2011, 06:31 PM

Thats ectactly what is happening , I think that more than the spring came out . So do you think if I get a new spring and the stuff behind it I'll be good or do you think I messed this up to bad to fix .

Old 02-27-2011, 06:37 PM
Administrator

You have to get the shifter unstuck first... If you lost the detent plunger, hopefully the spring did not get twisted up in the shift sector shaft comb and bend things inside.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:54 PM

So I should take the plug and spring out of there and try to get the shifter loose again , When I took the spring out it was damaged for sure but now the shifter is really stuck now it won't even go into low , I'll be playing with it more tomorrow again thanks for your time and help .

Old 02-27-2011, 06:58 PM
Administrator

If the plunger is not in there, there is no point in having the spring in there. Remove it and put the plug back in place to seal up the hole. Hopefully there isn't any damage to the shift sector shaft. You have to tear the transfer case apart to get at that.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:44 PM

So I can run it with out the spring or plunger in there at all .

Old 02-28-2011, 07:16 AM
Administrator

If you can somehow lock it in position, yes. There will be nothing to hold the shift sector shaft in the proper position so you will have to make something up to keep it where it is.

Quick Reply: I hate to ask this but I'm stuck